What to learn in gymnastics, skill wise, 101

Started by Blairbob, August 31, 2009 · 28 Replies · 25,967 Views

Sailor Venus

I'll disregard the 2 books I looked at Amazon and go with the Champion Gymnastics book instead. I'll also consider Stretching Scientifically by Thomas Kurz.

I'm interested in the parallel and the high bar so I might buy these: http://gymsmarts.com/shop/swing-champion-basic-swing/

And http://gymsmarts.com/shop/parallel-bar- ... tals-copy/ to get my foot in the door.

Other I might buy are: http://www.gymsupply.com/dvdmensbeginne ... csdvd.aspx, http://gymsmarts.com/shop/tumble-trak/ and http://gymsmarts.com/shop/basic-tumbling-men-women/ and http://www.gymsupply.com/dvdtumblexbegi ... bling.aspx

Any good?

There's a lot of coaching dvd's too that teaches coaches how to explain/teach xyz to athletes/students. Obviously i'm not a coach. So is dismissing these dvd's okay?

Sailor Venus

As it goes forget the old list, here's my updated shopping list:

Basic Tumbling for all levels Men & Women - Yoichi Tomita

Tumble X Beginning to Advanced Tumbling DVD

Swing Like a Champion: Part 1 Basic Swing - Dan Connelly

Parallel Bar Fundamentals - Jeff Robinson

Men's Beginner Gymnastics DVD

Stretching Scientifically - Thomas Kurz

Champion Gymnastics

The Kip for Uneven Parallel Bars & High Bar - Steve Butcher

Back Handsprings: The Secret Techniques Book - Rik Feeney

Gymnastics Drills and Conditioning for the Hanstand

Conditioning for Back Handspring & Tumbling Success - Rik Feeney

Learning the Glide Kip - Dan Connelly

Is there anything else I should add or remove before I start shopping frenzy? I'm in a mood for shopping!

Jon Douglas

Stretching Scientifically was my bible when I was a performing contortionist. I was the only one I'd met who had never had an injury.

Dax

Going for so long time with very basic skills is quite well meant. Just look at the parkour newbies.

You have 20 year ++ people that have trained at the same level with 1/4 to 1 year with just one basic skill

that have the condition to prevent muscle tears etc. And then the fourteen year old hyped kids that get injures

just two three months afterwards because they haven't the necessary strength in their joints and tendons.