This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Shoulder Problems w/ Overhead Extention

Started by rholmes75, July 10, 2015 · 21 Replies · 846 Views

rholmes75

I've been having issues with shoulder during HS Wall Runs. I can feel a muscle in my shoulder snap across the bone when my arm reaches near verticle. My shoulder flexibility is very good in all directions as I've been working on it for the past 2 years. I am working on a few excerses to help with some minor mobility issues. I found out today that this problem also effects me while I fully extend during L-sit Pull-ups. Before today this issue was just a nuisance, now it's a full blown problem because it's hindering development in two exercises. The movement that gives me trouble is anything that mimics a behind the head military press...the impingement comes in at near full extension. The more the load the more the irritation. I don't have constant pain, limited movement, etc. Here's what I'd like; help with stretching or strengthening excersises, etc. that will fix the problem. I have strong & flexible shoulders, but I have to tweak something in order to get over this hump.

Thanks everyone!

Alessandro Mainente

Hs wall runs is not for beginner, your shoulders mobility and stabilization could be defined/judged upon your level of proficiency on HBP, RC and handstand 1 mobility elements. if you are not working under those course you cannot have a decent feedback on your flexibility. just to make an example I can dislocate a broomstick at shoulders distance? can you? If not i suggest you foundations and handstand course.

rholmes75

Sorry, I should have given a little more background on my GST experience. I've been following Foundation 1, 2 & 3 for 2 years, and H1 for the past year. I can dislocate a PVC pipe at just past shoulder width and am working on a 10lb dislocate. I have presently advanced to prone undergrip and I'm progressing well. That's what I don't understand, I don't have any obvious mobility issues that I can address to fix this impingement. Shoulder strength doesn't seem to be an issue either, as I have excellent strength in my shoulder movements.

Alessandro Mainente

that could be the supraspinatus, how is your bridge?

rholmes75

I haven't tried a full bridge in a long time. I'm presently working on single leg elbow bridges. I'll try a full bridge later today and get back with you.

rholmes75

Just tried a full bridge cold, and I had partial extension in my arms. If I was warm I could probably get closer to full extension but I don't think I could lock out the arms.

Alessandro Mainente

that's could be the real problem, tight lats and subscapularis.

Keilani Gutierrez

tight lats on me is a given, which mobility exercise would hit subscapularis? reaching behind the back and grabbing ones hand, one from overhead and one from below kind of like german arm swings only the arm that is in the front is in the rear?

vannybute

Seconded, tight lats are a real problem and I think both my sons may need a little help with those :)

vannybute

Sorry it's been a while, but I wanted to bump this thread because stretches to open up the lats and subscapularis would still help a lot of people :)

Keilani Gutierrez

Perpendicular lat stretch has been my favorite recently. as for subscap, im not quite so sure if simply hanging would suffice because i feel a particular part in my armpit with tension, which is what im trying to get at. hanging hasnt hit it yet, so we'll see if its just a line im not hitting or just deeper than what I have worked on it.

Jon Douglas

I have been working a lot of kneeling flexion with a focus on maintaining full elevation/protraction to address this issue on myself. I prefer Alex's partial bridging over a stability ball with a barbell overhead, but finding it too easy to break tight form with that exercise.

Alessandro Mainente

Do not forget that subscapularis is an internal rotator. one of the best poses is the following one.

 

post-1151-0-88764300-1448231508_thumb.pn

 

execution notes:

-stay with the affected shoulder on one edge of a bench

-the shoulder should be completely supported

-also half of the upper arm is supported, in this way only half of the humerus is outside of the bench

-lower back flat on bench

-elbow bent at 90°

-do not extend the wrist

-let the shoulder relax with light weight like 4 kg

-actively try to push the hand on the floor 

 

ausswe

should add in to the notes
- keep ribs down

Ryan Bailey
Alessandro Mainente said:

Do not forget that subscapularis is an internal rotator. one of the best poses is the following one.

attachicon.gifsuscapularis.png

execution notes:

-stay with the affected shoulder on one edge of a bench

-the shoulder should be completely supported

-also half of the upper arm is supported, in this way only half of the humerus is outside of the bench

-lower back flat on bench

-elbow bent at 90°

-do not extend the wrist

-let the shoulder relax with light weight like 4 kg

-actively try to push the hand on the floor

I like this recommendation. I am currently treating someone with similar exercise using wall extension and hinge row as a pre and post test.

As far as the overhead reach tightness; for me, I have been benefitting lately from Coach's thoracic pull stretch. However I modify it and use a pulley with the anchor point directly overhead and forward a bit, working different angles for the stretch with 45-50 kg so far.

I find it more useful than the deadhang variations lately. It pulls the lats WAY overhead, while heavily eccentrically loading the antgonistic muscle groups. I find the weighted eccentric loading into a limited, endrange of movement very benefitial for the adult population.

I am able to stretch protraction, elevation a lot for the HS iM. I find the increased weight really waking up this area.

vannybute

What thoracic pull stretch are you referring to? Is this from the stretch courses?

Keilani Gutierrez
GenericGymnast said:

What thoracic pull stretch are you referring to? Is this from the stretch courses?

yes, thoracic bridge.
Leonhard Krahé

The prone one? I just started to really appreciate that one yesterday.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut
On 11/25/2015 at 8:09 AM, Ryan Bailey said:

I like this recommendation. I am currently treating someone with similar exercise using wall extension and hinge row as a pre and post test.

As far as the overhead reach tightness; for me, I have been benefitting lately from Coach's thoracic pull stretch. However I modify it and use a pulley with the anchor point directly overhead and forward a bit, working different angles for the stretch with 45-50 kg so far.

I find it more useful than the deadhang variations lately. It pulls the lats WAY overhead, while heavily eccentrically loading the antgonistic muscle groups. I find the weighted eccentric loading into a limited, endrange of movement very benefitial for the adult population.

I am able to stretch protraction, elevation a lot for the HS iM. I find the increased weight really waking up this area.

Can you explain this a bit better? My shoulder progression is seemingly one step forward, two steps back and I'm thinking the lat/subscap and my pec minor need much more attention and work before my handstand/shoulder issues will be resolved. So I'm thinking to include the stretch you mention, but the way you describe it, it sounds like the setup is different than how it is arranged in TBs. So? Not so?

Ryan Bailey

I don`t want to muddy the waters to much Daniel, as you have more than enough to work on for your shoulder. I recommend not trying any overhead work at end range until you are pain free.  The stretch I mentioned was for my tightness with overhead movements. Too hard to discuss the details in a painful shoulder situation unless in person.  My shoulder limitations are due to tight hip flexor, feeding into tight obliques, feeding into tight lats/pect minor/subscap ect, So I use this weighted thoracic pull stretch where I can precisely control the load: (I use it with high weight 5-10r, only after thoracic bridge stretch is done (this almost gives me DOMS in pect. minor/anterior muscles), or sometimes high rep, no end range, lighter weight in warm up to handstand)

The anchor point allows for a traction moment. This causes contractions of all the deeper, tight muscles I mentioned above, allowing for conditioning of the antagonistic muscle groups.  Again, I would not try this with end range motion and pain.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut
On 2/13/2016 at 6:35 PM, Ryan Bailey said:

I don`t want to muddy the waters to much Daniel, as you have more than enough to work on for your shoulder. I recommend not trying any overhead work at end range until you are pain free.  The stretch I mentioned was for my tightness with overhead movements. Too hard to discuss the details in a painful shoulder situation unless in person.  My shoulder limitations are due to tight hip flexor, feeding into tight obliques, feeding into tight lats/pect minor/subscap ect, So I use this weighted thoracic pull stretch where I can precisely control the load: (I use it with high weight 5-10r, only after thoracic bridge stretch is done (this almost gives me DOMS in pect. minor/anterior muscles), or sometimes high rep, no end range, lighter weight in warm up to handstand)

The anchor point allows for a traction moment. This causes contractions of all the deeper, tight muscles I mentioned above, allowing for conditioning of the antagonistic muscle groups.  Again, I would not try this with end range motion and pain.

Yeah, I don't intend on utilizing end range of motion, as mine would likely still leave me on the floor. I just was curious as to how you were using the exercise, and what specifically the exercise looked like. Thanks.

Keilani Gutierrez

image.thumb.jpeg.c49199ce4763f182fc1d101I've done a similar stretch for a while to open up my chest. great minds think alike :D