This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Russian L Dips - Form Question

Started by Stigz, July 9, 2015 · 2 Replies · 191 Views

Stigz

Hey Everyone, 

 

Had a form question/technique question about Russian Dips. I'm messing around with Russian L Dips - and have some questions about the movement. 

 

I know you're supposed to try and use more arms than torso lean to get into position - but when the L sit is involved, i find my feet dropping - is this acceptable? The only way to counteract it and keep my feet within a few inches is if I concentrate on piking hard. I know with GST movements, we want to maintain parallel whenever possible with an L-Sit. 

 

But when i do this - piking hard - my scaps protract and i'm not in an optimal position.

Should I be worried about my feet dropping 6-10 inches from intial position of L-Sit? Or just be more concerned with my arm positioning and not leaning torso into the movement, and just trying my best to keep my parallel position - but not obsessing over it? I already have a pretty solid L-sit, and overall good ab strength. 

 

Thank in advance! 

Sean Hunter

I love this movement. Been working on it for about 2 months.

 

Personally, and i may get crucified for this, I just focus on staying as parallel as possible. If my legs drop

slightly, that's fine by me. The guy in the video drops and rocks a bit, so why should i beat myself up over

a little bit of rocking? I've seen high-level circus performers do this type of movement with a bit of rocking.

 

This doesn't mean move on without being competent in the movement...you should aim for mastery. It 

shouldn't be overtly wrong. Really focus on keeping the legs straight.

 

But I'm training for a Hollow Back Press here. Not trying to have the best dip on the block.

Jon Douglas

This :)

I might add a little more strictness to Seans comments but otherwise agree. It took me a repeat of the last microcycle to get my lsit looking reasonable; 6-10 inch drop at the bottom is too much in my book.