This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Scaling TB 21, the Hip Taps

Started by Sensei JP, July 8, 2015 · 2 Replies · 174 Views

Sensei JP

I've noticed the recent edition of scaling pictures to various elements in the stretch series.  For hip taps, it appears to be leaning back on a wall and doing the exercise that way.

 

I have some questions about this.  I've previously been doing this exercise with incredibly small ROM, mostly just shifting weight to each hand and lifting the other hand as quickly and as far off the ground as I dare.  I've made progress doing it this way, including my first ever shoulder tap on my better side.  Is this example of scaling acceptable?  If I'm getting results, I should stick with it, right?  Would adding the scaled example help even more?

 

I'm also curious about performing this exercise.  I'm assuming arms need to be straight.  What about legs?  And can I have feet apart?  How low should I bring my arms?  The pictures appears to be above 90 degrees.  Also, when I lean back like that, my head generally just flops back, loose.  The picture shows an engaged head and neck.  Is that preferable in general when doing such leaning back exercises?

 

Also, I greatly enjoy the additions of scaling examples to the series.  Thought I'd express that.  Hard work doesn't go unnoticed. :D

Keilani Gutierrez

i currently do the shoulder taps cause hip taps make me put my hand in a funky spot and i feel weak pressing up. i can get consistent presses + get the hand in the right spot for the next rep fairly quicker. thats been good to me for now, keeping in mind that in the future hip taps will be the golden standard to shoot for. :)

edit: the same could be said for handstand wallruns actually. either hip taps or start using handstand blocks.

dritar

Probably ideal is feet together and straight arms as in an ideal bridge, but to quote Coach on this, "ideal is what we are aiming for, later".

 

I personally find the bridge hip taps much easier than the bridge pushups. I can do clumsy hip taps but I can not even get near a full bridge pushup.