This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Tumbling Skills and Foundation One

Started by Joel Savell, July 7, 2015 · 7 Replies · 373 Views

Joel Savell

Hi, wasn't sure whether to put this in the Skills forum or F1 forum.   I am taking a beginning adult Gymnastics class. I had virtually no prior gymnastics experience. Floor tumbling is my favorite aspect of the sport.  However, I've noticed that round offs are especially hard on my body.  My non-dominant shoulder seems to get stretched more than it's comfortable with when planting hands on floor, and lower back is vulnerable to wrenching when attempting running round offs.

 

So my question:  Is there a recommended skill/drill progression to go along with F1 and H1?  In other words, maybe it's not safe to attempt round offs when I'm still only at PE1/PE2?    But maybe basic forward rolls are OK?

 

I'm imagining something like this: 

 

PE1:  Forward rolls

 

PE2: Cartwheels, handstand blocks

 

PE3 Handstand forward rolls,

 

etc, etc, etc...

 

Thoughts? Advice?

 

Thanks,

Joel

Edoardo Cagnola

I don't know about tumbling, but the skills you mentioned will probably be a part of the upcoming movement course. That's just speculation though, given that we don't know that much about it (yet).

Chris Garay

Hey Joel,

 

You are correct in thinking that there are tumbling progressions that one should master before attempting more advanced skills. This indeed will be a part of the upcoming Movement Series. In the meantime, I highly recommend that you attend a GB Seminar in-person.

 

Lastly, there are also some gems from Coach Sommer in this thread.

 

Best,

Chris

Joel Savell

Thanks Chris.  Yes, some good stuff from Coach in that thread, which definitely applies to my concerns.  I look forward to the Movement series and will check the GB seminar schedule.

Alessandro Mainente

I suggest no advanced tumbling until F4 is completed for SLS progression.

Joel Savell

Thanks Alessandro.  Would you consider a round off to be an advanced tumbling skill?

pghgymnastics

Wasn't Movement One supposed to come out shortly after the stretch series?

Alessandro Mainente

no round off is possible without handstand mastery. so it is basic tumbling if you have a basic handstand. same idea for backhandspring, no reason to obtain high degree of momentum if you do not have handstand, bridge and limbers. limbers and bridge are the final destination of front lever mobility.