Weighted Ring Dip

Started by Donald Lee, August 29, 2009 · 7 Replies · 5,906 Views

Donald Lee

I have a question about having the rings turned out. In a normal ring dip, should the rings be turned out during the duration of the dip or just more towards the support? Like should there be minimal contact of the forearms and the straps?

With weighted ring dips, I find that contact with the forearms and the straps is inevitable, especially toward the bottom of the dip. Maybe I should lower the weights and work on better form?

braindx

Depends what you're trying to accomplish. Pure weight you don't have to turn them out at all.

If you're working rings related progressions with weight then yeah... turn them out at the top is an option or you can keep them out the whole time

Donald Lee

Hey Steven,

Mind posting a video or picture of a proper ring dip? Or linking to a video?

And when you do weighted ring dips, do you turn the rings out and move them away from your sides?

Blairbob

Turn out rings entire time.

Your form is slipping.

Donald Lee

Darn.

braindx
Donald Lee said:
Hey Steven,

Mind posting a video or picture of a proper ring dip? Or linking to a video?

And when you do weighted ring dips, do you turn the rings out and move them away from your sides?

Can't find any vids.

When I do them for heaviest weight I don't turn them.

When I do them for form I keep the turned out (aka > than parallel at ~ 30-45 turned out with palms facing forwards) the whole time. I keep them pinned to waist.

There's no reason to have them move away unless you're doing something like straight arm cross work or one of the few variations that utilizes them out like bulgarian dips

Donald Lee
braindx said:
Donald Lee said:
Hey Steven,

Mind posting a video or picture of a proper ring dip? Or linking to a video?

And when you do weighted ring dips, do you turn the rings out and move them away from your sides?

Can't find any vids.

When I do them for heaviest weight I don't turn them.

When I do them for form I keep the turned out (aka > than parallel at ~ 30-45 turned out with palms facing forwards) the whole time. I keep them pinned to waist.

There's no reason to have them move away unless you're doing something like straight arm cross work or one of the few variations that utilizes them out like bulgarian dips

Oh, I thought Coach Sommer advocated moving them slightly away from your sides, so you're not resting on your lats I believe he wrote in his book.

braindx
Donald Lee said:
braindx said:
Donald Lee said:
Hey Steven,

Mind posting a video or picture of a proper ring dip? Or linking to a video?

And when you do weighted ring dips, do you turn the rings out and move them away from your sides?

Can't find any vids.

When I do them for heaviest weight I don't turn them.

When I do them for form I keep the turned out (aka > than parallel at ~ 30-45 turned out with palms facing forwards) the whole time. I keep them pinned to waist.

There's no reason to have them move away unless you're doing something like straight arm cross work or one of the few variations that utilizes them out like bulgarian dips

Oh, I thought Coach Sommer advocated moving them slightly away from your sides, so you're not resting on your lats I believe he wrote in his book.

That's certainly a good idea... if your lats are that big. :P

But yeah, generally you put your shoulders forward anyway so they won't be sitting on your lats