Sliding Parallettes

Started by Sternford, August 29, 2009 · 7 Replies · 5,270 Views

Sternford

I made myself a set of parallettes and they work fine, but there is occasionally a hint that they are going to slide out from under me when I am doing things against a wall. What's the best way to prevent this?

irongymnast

Put hard mat underneath?

Sternford

I have a carpet under it that stays but really well but when I do anything where I lean against the wall it feels very much like it's about to slide across the carpet

braindx

Stomach to the wall, body as close as possible for an inverted work

Razz

Put something stable behind them, i usually put a 5pound ancle weight behind each.

rubadub

I have 40mm diameter tubes and I put sections of bicycle inner tube on them for grip. I also have pushup stands and put similar tubes on them so they will not slide on carpet. I also have a dip station that I rest 2 20kg plates on to stabilise it.

I actually thought this thread was going to be about working with sliding parallel bars, purposely free to move. There are fixed plastic bars in my local park, I was thinking of brining down 2 PVC tubes which I could rest on these bars at right angles to them, I thought they might be similar to rings, introducing instability while doing dips so being a much harder variation.

Animalonfire

Make sure they're as close to the wall as possible (touching the skirting board), and there is roughly equal weight on each foot(??) of both parallettes. Though I assume that you're doing this already it dosent hurt to suggest.

TheRustySpoon

You should consider getting a yoga mat. I have laminate flooring, very slippery. So i put my parallettes on the yoga mat and its really grippy. Depending on how big ur parallettes are, the yoga mat may not be big enough. I had to fold my yoga mat into an L, then i can fully put the parallettes on it.

I am not sure about wheter yoga mats slip on carpet however... :?