This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Straddle Hollow Body Rock & Back Issues

Started by Nash, July 4, 2015 · 8 Replies · 378 Views

Nash

Hey guys,

 

I just finished Straddle Hollow Body Holds and started playing with the rocks.

 

It feels like this movements puts a lot of pressure on the lower back. I'm concerned about developing back problems after spending months on this.

 

What cues do you guys use in order to keep your back protected?

 

I'm contemplating skipping this and spending maybe double the time on hollow body holds instead of doing rocks.

 

-Nash

Awesssss

I am under the impression that if you feel pressure on your lower back then you are arching and doing this movement incorrectly?

Chris Garay

Hi Nash,

I'm not sure exactly what back problem you are describing, but perhaps experiment with where you place your arms. Personally, I always achieve a smoother rocking motion in straddle hollow rocks when my arms are either overhead in a "Y" or out to my side in a "T."

Best,

Chris

Jon Douglas

There shouldn't be undue pressure on your lower back; the most likely culprit as above is that you are arching and trying to rock over a straight line rather a curve. Photo/video is best to id your problem :)

Or are you just on a hard surface?

Nash

I had to do these at a hotel where I didn't have my mat and man, it totally reactivated an old lower back injury. Now there's pressure on the sciatic nerve and it's affecting my left glute all the way down to my left foot (numbness; pins and needles).

 

What are some lower-back-safe ab workouts that I can do until I'm fully recovered (that can maintain my strength gains for this workout if possible)?

 

* As of the last successful set I was at 5x40r with these.

Mark Collins

The only way you could have hurt your back with these is if you lost the hollow position and your back arched. Until your back feels better go back to straddle holds at a level that feels comfortable. When the pain settles get back to the straddle rocks. Keep your the ribs down and pubic bone pulled to the ribs so the low back is not arched.

Coach Sommer
Mark Collins said:

... The only way you could have hurt your back with these is if you lost the hollow position and your back arched ...

 

Absolutely correct.

 

Posterior pelvic tilt must be maintained at all times with these.  If you find yourself unable to do so, terminate the set.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Jon Douglas

As above (but pretty sure you already knew that :) ).

Replace rocks with static sets as necessary to strengthen your hollow until you are able to approach them again.

Nash

Yup, this is the downside of learning how to handle extreme pain well. Gotta know when to stop. I've been letting a few bad ones slip by. Not anymore.

 

Thanks for the advice.