This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

VERY Sore Groin All The Time

Started by Vytautas Pilkauskas, July 4, 2015 · 9 Replies · 456 Views

Vytautas Pilkauskas

Hello,

 

Since I started doing both Middle Split and Front Split series, there has not been a single day when I did not feel soreness in my groin. Before doing any activity which highly involves hips I need to do this kind of warm up for them:

30 inside squats for both legs sitting on 2 stretching blocks and 30 sec hold at the bottom

20 inside squats on 1 stretching block and 30 sec hold at the bottom

15 inside squats sitting on the floor or in a squat and 30 sec hold at the bottom

 

And then additional warm up like squats if needed.

 

First 10 - 15 reps I can't even get my knees to the ground because they are so sore, later they get well warmed up and that extreme soreness goes away.

 

I don't know which series is causing this soreness but I guess it is Middle Split because of a lot of straddle work.

 

Please note that this soreness doesn't cause me much of discomfort or pain they are just sore 24/7.

 

Don't know what to do really to get rid of this soreness so a solid advice would be very much appreciated.

 

Thank you!

 

Chris Garay

Hi Vytautas,

If I am reading your post correctly, you are doing 65 inside squats just to warm up? Perhaps that excessive volume of inside squats is what is causing soreness. Alternatively, you could be over-straining your adductors during the Middle Split Stretch Series. Perhaps reduce the intensity on certain stretches.

Best,

Chris

Jon Douglas

That's a huge number of inside squats even if they begin assisted.... I will leave it to the background-in-anatomy guys for a breakdown but I strongly suggest you ressess this warmup.

Cole Dano

Something is off here, would you be able to show your inside squats?

 

It's just very unusual that you would be able to perform inside squats all the way to the floor and not also be relatively open the other way.

 

There is certainly something off if you are sore 24/7. 

 

Off course the most likely reason is you've strained your groin and it just need recovery time, this can take 6 weeks or more. First priority is back off anything that's going into your groin for a while.

Vytautas Pilkauskas

Hi, sorry for such a late reply.

Since your replies I stopped doing anything like inside squats, MS series, and elements from foundation work which address groin. I might also have pushed too hard on swivel hips element because it hurts the most when I internally rotate hips.. So now it is almost 10 days without any groin work and it doesn't feel much better therefore I am looking forward to give them as much rest as needed to let them recover.

 

What is the best thing to do now: to not do anything at all until I don't feel any soreness/pain (it is so much confusing that I can't really tell if it is a pain or soreness, however it is probably pain) or to start moving them in comfortable ranges of motion?

 

And is it ok to do FS series as they don't seem to focus on groin muscles and tissues?

Mark Collins

You have obviously done way too much. These stretches are to be done so they are not pushing to your limits and causing injury.

Are your symptoms improving each day? If not then I would seek medical treatment. If they are improving ease back into your regular routine making sure that you do not flare up the symptoms. This includes resuming middle split series.

Vytautas Pilkauskas

Hi Mark,

It is two weeks now when I don't do any training and stretching which includes groin and I'd say it is getting better every day or two. I lost quite a bit of ROM in some movements but this doesn't bother me at the moment. My right groin seems to be much more damaged than the left one because left groin made a huge recovery comparing to the right one, there's almost no painful sensations in the left one which is very good news indeed. I will still give them one week or 10 days of rest (as I am moving to France so plenty of things waiting ahead) the only thing I will do is start 5 - 10 minutes squating every two or three days. What do you think?

Mark Collins

The fact that it is improving daily is a good sign. The extra rest won't hurt. When you start just progress conservatively.

Cole Dano

Also, just so you aren't overly concerned. 4-6 weeks is a typical timeframe for groin strain. 

Vytautas Pilkauskas

Hi, how are you doing?

It is now 7 weeks that I didn't do any exercises where I need to utilize groin (except started swivel hips last week) and it feels like I could start doing hip stretching series again. Left groin has fully healed while I still experience discomfort in the right one if I rotate it internally but it is day and night better than 4 weeks ago. The good news is that I don't feel any discomfort if I do internal squats described in my first post but I will still keep out of them.

Can I utilize stretch series as a rehabilitation to the hips? If so, what ranges of motion should I reach - where I just stretch them out a little bit but not until moderate discomfort or should I reach that moderate discomfort?

Thank you,

 

Cheers