This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

RC/PE2 vs RC/PE3

Started by Alan Tseng, July 4, 2015 · 6 Replies · 227 Views

Alan Tseng

In RC/PE2, my palms start off facing away from me (pronated) and ends up with my palms facing towards me (supinated).  In RC/PE3, my palms starts off pronated, but ends in a neutral grip.

 

Will I get any benefit in RC/PE3 with my palms facing towards me or should I just stick with neutral girp

Rayne-William

The rotation of your lower arm(elbow to hand) isn't as important as the rotation of your upper arm (elbow to shoulder).

 

With that stated do your best to keep your upper arm externally rotated throughout the entire range of motion. 

 

If you have spent a lot of time sitting in front of your computer, your external rotator cuff muscles and tendons need to be strengthened because they are weaker than internal rotator cuff muscles and tendons.

Jon Douglas
Rayne-William said:

If you have spent a lot of time sitting in front of your computer, your external rotator cuff muscles and tendons need to be strengthened because they are weaker than internal rotator cuff muscles and tendons.

Quote for emphasis. Nice post.

 

Context; I, a poster child for over-enthusiastic GST + time on computer, visited the physio and was immediately identified with too-tight internal rotators/relatively weak external rotators. Rapidly solved with internal rotator stretches / Mark Collins' recommendations for external rotator rehab. Progress immediately resumes.

 

As to the OP; You don't lose anything here. The balance of rotation here is achieved through the summative effect of F1 RC progressions :) If one is more comfortable then go with it, worry about the scapular motion here rather than the grip. It will even out.

MrPuppeh
Jon Douglas said:

Quote for emphasis. Nice post.

 

Context; I, a poster child for over-enthusiastic GST + time on computer, visited the physio and was immediately identified with too-tight internal rotators/relatively weak external rotators. Rapidly solved with internal rotator stretches / Mark Collins' recommendations for external rotator rehab. Progress immediately resumes.

 

As to the OP; You don't lose anything here. The balance of rotation here is achieved through the summative effect of F1 RC progressions :) If one is more comfortable then go with it, worry about the scapular motion here rather than the grip. It will even out.

Can you share, please, the Mark Collins external rotator rehab ?

Koenraad Van Leemput

Hey Zach,

 

What would be the correct scapular motion to look out for ? There is no specific cue in the exercise description as far as I know.

 

Thx

Alan Tseng
Koenraad Van Leemput said:

Hey Zach,

 

What would be the correct scapular motion to look out for ? There is no specific cue in the exercise description as far as I know.

 

Thx

Pull into full scapula retraction

Jon Douglas
MrPuppeh said:

Can you share, please, the Mark Collins external rotator rehab ?

This is not a specific series; I got a diagnosis from another physio and asked him to glance over it through the lens of GST. Unless you have the same combination of small issues its not going to help and may exacerbate yours :) he tweaked my sets/reps, helped me understand I was doing what I was doing, and provided some fine detail.