This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Tenosynovitis and Handstand

Started by sashok, July 3, 2015 · 14 Replies · 336 Views

sashok

The doctor diagnosed me with a Long Head of Biceps Tenosynovitis. Can I continue to train handstand? (Now I'm on PE10). 

Alessandro Mainente

Flexion exercises should be limited. while extension could be good to relax the long head. how did you develop it?

sashok
Alessandro Mainente said:

Flexion exercises should be limited. while extension could be good to relax the long head. how did you develop it?

I think it happened after training german hang or back lever. I didn't know that this could damage my tendon

Coach Sommer
sashok said:

I think it happened after training german hang or back lever. I didn't know that this could damage my tendon

 

Sorry to hear about your injury, however you need to read the GB forums more carefully.  

 

For years now, I have been advising beginners to avoid back levers for this very reason.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

sashok
Coach Sommer said:

Sorry to hear about your injury, however you need to read the GB forums more carefully.  

 

For years now, I have been advising beginners to avoid back levers for this very reason.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Thank you, Coach. Could you advise me how to treat it? 

Mark Collins

If you have a diagnosis of tenosynovitis you need to seek medical treatment.

sashok

post-8692-0-56528600-1436260342_thumb.jp

Mark Collins said:

If you have a diagnosis of tenosynovitis you need to seek medical treatment.

Here's a photo of my injury

Mark Collins

Are you getting treatment for it?

sashok

Yes, 3 tablets a day of Serrata and 2 cups a day of advanced allflex

Mark Collins
sashok said:

Yes, 3 tablets a day of Serrata and 2 cups a day of advanced allflex

Let me guess.. You are no better. What country do you live in? You need to find someone who is experienced in treating tendon injuries.

sashok

post-8692-0-09740500-1436358519_thumb.jp

Mark Collins said:

Let me guess.. You are no better. What country do you live in? You need to find someone who is experienced in treating tendon injuries.

The pain is gone. I do not train the second week after examination by a doctor. 

The pain came the next day after training, but during a workout I felt no pain. 

I'm from Ukraine. I am looking for a private clinic.

Mark, you understand that in the photo? If so, what is it? (in the circle)

Sorry for bad english

Mark Collins

It is very difficult to read ultrasounds unless you are performing them yourself. If you have been diagnosed with tenosynovitis then it is most likely the ultrasound is showing inflammation. Considering you only feel pain the day after exercise it is unlikely you have permanent damage. Do not be too concerned about what shows on ultrasound. Some people have terrible ultrasounds with no pain and full strength.

I am not sure who is the best person to see for tendon injuries in the Ukraine. You will have to ask around and find out whether you need to see a physiotherapist or osteopath.

sashok
Mark Collins said:

It is very difficult to read ultrasounds unless you are performing them yourself. If you have been diagnosed with tenosynovitis then it is most likely the ultrasound is showing inflammation. Considering you only feel pain the day after exercise it is unlikely you have permanent damage. Do not be too concerned about what shows on ultrasound. Some people have terrible ultrasounds with no pain and full strength.

I am not sure who is the best person to see for tendon injuries in the Ukraine. You will have to ask around and find out whether you need to see a physiotherapist or osteopath.

Thank you for advice and to all who responded here. I hope after a month I can start training

thenail001

Doesn't look bad, certainly can't diagnose tenosynovitis on that view.  Would want power flow to really diagnose.  True tenosynovitis (vs tendonitis/tendinosis) of biceps long head is pretty rare especially without RA or some rheumatologic condition.  Photo is your proximal biceps long head in long axis, not sure what arrow is attempting to point out.  Doesn't seem to have fluid within biceps tendon sheath.  Again, this is one view, would need to do full ultrasound exam.

sashok
thenail001 said:

Doesn't look bad, certainly can't diagnose tenosynovitis on that view.  Would want power flow to really diagnose.  True tenosynovitis (vs tendonitis/tendinosis) of biceps long head is pretty rare especially without RA or some rheumatologic condition.  Photo is your proximal biceps long head in long axis, not sure what arrow is attempting to point out.  Doesn't seem to have fluid within biceps tendon sheath.  Again, this is one view, would need to do full ultrasound exam.

Thank you for helping, at the end of the month I will pass another examination.