This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Vertical shin bent leg

Started by DBeckerman, July 3, 2015 · 9 Replies · 436 Views

DBeckerman

Hi all,

I was just after some advice on vertical shin bent leg please. I find that my hips are lopsided when I do this stretch. The side that has the shin on the wall sits lower. The only fix I have is to kneel on the non-stretched leg ang use a chair to push myself back.

Anyone else had any experience of this please?

Cole Dano

On Vertical Lunge Bent only go down so far as  you can with level hips.

 

Using a chair, stretch blocks, etc. to help you remain level is a ok. 

 

The main thing is to get the stretch in the hip flexors.

DBeckerman

Thanks Cole. They way I do them now certainly stretches the quads and hip flexor. My body is probably at a 45 degree angle during the stretch so I think I just need more flexibility before considering the front leg.

Coach Sommer

- Torso should be vertical, not at 45 degrees.

 

- Putting the hips into PPT will greatly intensify the stretch on the hip flexor and quad.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Jonathan Horowitz

My inflexibility doesn't allow me to have my shin vertical and my torso vertical at the same time - which takes priority?

Cole Dano

This would be the point in the conversation where we ask for you to post a form check.

Jonathan Horowitz

Cole, see below. The first half is me trying (and failing) to get into position. The second half is me pulling my knee out from the wall and getting in the modified position. I still felt a very intense stretch in the top of my quad and hip flexor.

https://youtu.be/UxCj_ceaOs0

DBeckerman

Thanks Johnathan for posting that. I have a similar problem to you. I'll try to post mine tomorrow.

Cole Dano

When you get in position, start with your knee out from the wall as in your 2nd attempt. But then try to work the knee closer to the wall. Don't worry about trying to come lower until you are successfully able to get your knee to the wall

Jonathan Horowitz

Thank you for your assistance Cole. I assume I need to keep my torso upright during this? Do I manually shimmy my knee back, or is this something that comes from a hamstring or other muscular contraction?