Just started rings three days ago

Started by Daniel Arroyo, August 28, 2009 · 9 Replies · 3,404 Views

Daniel Arroyo

Here is a video of me training on my new rings, any tips would be appreciated. I have a lot to work on but I learn fast. After I shot the video I learned that on my levers I should try and squeeze my arms/elbows in and that has helped my levers out a lot. Again I am new to this stuff so don't be too hard. Thank you for watching!

irongymnast

This is superb!! Great form and very good flexibility.

I think it's obvious you're not coming from a gymnastics background. What background do you come from?

You can work on making the transitions smoother, try not to kip at the MU, do the exercises slower, do not bend your legs.

Your iron cross attempt and the 60sec L-sit are very impressive.

Where did you get the rings from?

Daniel Arroyo

Thank you very much, I was big into wrestling/body building/breakdancing. For the past two years I have been into Parkour/Free Running, I have also been huge into calisthenics so I wanted something harder. I just wish I would have bought a pair of rings sooner, I bought my rings from http://www.xfitrings.com/products/fitne ... 5?vmcchk=1

Also here are a couple of my videos from my Parkour and my gymnastics/Free Running.

Old Gymnastics vid.

braindx

1. straight arm pull into all your inverted hangs. better habit + will get you shoulder strength faster for other straight arm work

2. Hands facing the other way on back lever. Looks solid overall besides the arch

3. cross ain't too bad. resist the bending arms feeling though. You're probably a little more than halfway there

4. learn to shoulder stand before you try to do an inbetween of shoulder stand/handstand...

5. muscle up looks fine with kip. try to learn strict

6. keep the legs and arms straight in the hanging leg raises

7. might wanna start working a harder variation of dips. rings turned out/bulgarian/etc.

Man, makes me wanna get out and do parkour again. knees almost back up for it!

Nick Van Bockxmeer
braindx said:

Man, makes me wanna get out and do parkour again. knees almost back up for it!

always my problem too

Daniel Arroyo
braindx said:
1. straight arm pull into all your inverted hangs. better habit + will get you shoulder strength faster for other straight arm work

2. Hands facing the other way on back lever. Looks solid overall besides the arch

3. cross ain't too bad. resist the bending arms feeling though. You're probably a little more than halfway there

4. learn to shoulder stand before you try to do an inbetween of shoulder stand/handstand...

5. muscle up looks fine with kip. try to learn strict

6. keep the legs and arms straight in the hanging leg raises

7. might wanna start working a harder variation of dips. rings turned out/bulgarian/etc.

Man, makes me wanna get out and do parkour again. knees almost back up for it!

Thanks for all the advice, I do other variations of dips I just didn't record them and I have found that turning my wrist in on my muscles ups (if you know what I mean, I think it's called False Grip) has enabled me to do MU's much more controlled and with str8 legs. I just tried all your other advice and it has significantly helps (Levers mainly). Other then that this is only my first week on rings so I am sure that I will progress fast. Thanks again for all the comments.

Blairbob

Cover you ears during the L-hangs as you are letting your shoulders assist too much in keeping your legs up. While the shoulders must stabilize to do the L, ya still should keep them as open (shoulder flexion) as possible versus craning your head back or closing the shoulders.

Donald Lee

Shoulder extension.

Daniel Arroyo

I think I know what you guys are talking about, I need to relax my shoulders more??

Chris

very very nice for a first week :>

don't you feel any tension in the elbows during the cross attempts?