This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Deck squat question

Started by Ilmari, June 30, 2015 · 7 Replies · 301 Views

Ilmari

Hi everybody,

 

Just starting the foundation course and enjoying it. 

 

I'm having trouble doing the deck squat. The basic problem is that as I'm moving from the squat down into the roll my butt doesn't get close enough to my heels to make the roll smooth. It's easy if I cross my ankles.

 

For the same reason it's difficult to come back from the roll into the squat.

 

Any suggestions? I'm guessing it's a flexibility issue.

 

Thanks,

 

Ilmari

Ilmari

Thanks Zach. I appreciate your help. Unfortunately I don't quite understand what you mean.

 

Thanks again,

 

Ilmari

Cole Dano

Idea 1: By using a weight it will help counterbalance and make it easier to get on your feet.

 

Idea 2: By using a raised surface (like gymnastic mats or some sofa cushions on the floor) your back rolls on them and when you come up, feet on the floor, your feet don't have to get as far under you. This makes it much easier to stand  up.

Ilmari

Thanks guys. Makes sense now. Is there a way to target the necessary fliexibility I'm lacking, or does repeat doing of the exercise accomplish that function?

 

Thanks again,

 

Ilmari

Jon Douglas
Ilmari said:

Thanks guys. Makes sense now. Is there a way to target the necessary fliexibility I'm lacking, or does repeat doing of the exercise accomplish that function?

 

Thanks again,

 

Ilmari

The counterweight out in front method is somewhat superior for flexibility development out of the two. The roll will put you in a slightly lower squat position than you can reach without it.

If your squat at the hips is reasonably capable, then it is an Achilles/ankle flexibility deficit. This is most thoroughly solved in my experience by application of the front split stretch series :) although some of the SLS PE's will achieve a similar effect.

Ilmari

Thanks Jon. I'm guessing you're right that it is an  chilles/ankle flexibility deficit. I did a search for the front split stretch series, but didn't see anything. BTW, the weight in front in helping, though my return to standing is pretty messy :). Glad no one can see the stumbling backward and flailing that sometime happens!

Thanks again,

 

Ilmari

Mike_R

Hi Guys,

 

I have a similar challenge with the deck squat and have identified that my problem is my achilles/ calf flexibility. That and potentially my gut getting in the way a little bit - working on that too :-/.

 

Taking on the stretch series might be a bit much for me to cope with given that I'm on day one of foundations so I was wondering if anyone could offer some stretching advice specifically for the for the achillies and calves?

 

- What stretches to start with, how long, how often etc...

 

I have a standing desk that I work at so I have got my self a yoga block that I am using to alternate streching the achillies throughout the day. It just acts as a little step that I can stretch with. In the gym I have started stretching more aggressively also. I'll report back on how this helps out but if there is anything else I can implement please let me know.