This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Can't push up into a bridge

Started by Luke Harris, June 30, 2015 · 20 Replies · 910 Views

Luke Harris

I have been going at this for a couple weeks and still unable to push up into a bridge. Is there anything I can do to progress?

Edoardo Cagnola

Try this:

1. Elevate your feet higher

2 . Push hard and fast with your hips to help you get the movement started and so you avoid the first part of the push-up, which is the most difficult one

Seminole 4

There are scaling options if you go to the particular elements you are having trouble with.

Luzian

What has helped me is pushing up into the bridge via the head. So first step: bridge with the head on the floor. Second step: then pushing up from there. I think that intermediate position with the head on the floor is called the wrestler's bridge and it looks like this: https://youtu.be/14E3WK1pSBU?t=47

 

For your motivation: when I started with with the TB stretches in February (now about 4 months ago) I was not able to push up into the bridge either, let alone hold it for one minute once I got it. I can now pushup and hold it for one minute, do the 10 full bridge pushups afterwards and I'm just now starting to be able to slighty lift alternating hands off the ground in progression towards the hip taps.

 

Jon Douglas

An assisted bridge, ie bridging over a ball, table or helpful friend is also an option while you adjust :)

DonGray

I was trying this yesterday in the gym trying to prop myself up on equipment - people were giving me some very puzzled looks ;)

 

Great idea to use a swiss ball early on!  I will try that and try not to fall off in the process.

Luke Harris

Thanks for all the suggestions. I can do it!

Pushing hard with the hips and having me butt closer to the elevated box have helped a lot.

I can do about 10 reps and the last couple I can hold for 10-15 seconds.

Mats Trane

[quote name="Luke Harris" post="190973" timestamp="1436184771"having me butt closer to the elevated box have helped a lot.

This is Key in the beginning. Push your but/ass as close as you can to the elevated surface, then put your feet up.

Chris Garay

Nice work Luke!

 In the Thoracic Bridge Series in particular, there are several positions (capsule, elevated bridge, push-ups, hip taps, etc.) that are made more... "potent" with the helpful eye and light touch of a spotter.

 

Best,

Chris

BritHarrier

I am struggling with the same inability to push up into a bridge and can barely just lift my head off the floor. I'm strong. It doesn't compute. Raising my feet just makes it worse. For my own part, I know that I have limited mobility in my shoulders: I am not yet able to raise my arms in line with my ears. When I push down into the floor, my hands start to slip backwards away from my head making me come crashing back down. Interestingly, if I lay my hands on a couple of 3 inch high yoga blocks that are butted up to a wall, I can easily push up into the bridge. Is that because of the elevated hands relieving the shoulder tightness? Hard to say at this point. But, never give up! I WILL get this.

Julia Quigley

Can someone explain what is typically the limiting factor in not being able to push up into a bridge position? 

I'm starting the course with a not-atrocious bridge (see attached), and I can push up into a bridge from the floor, but I cannot push up into one with my feet elevated! 

For elevafed bridge in the course, I've been getting into a bridge on the floor and then walking my feet up the stall bars.

Should I continue with this approach, assuming I'll get rectify the strength/mobility/skill gap over time? 

image.jpeg

Cole Dano

It takes more strength to push up with elevated feet.

Start with just pushing up from the bottom rung, and if you need to get your butt in fairly close, you can walk out after you straighten your legs.

As this improves, go to the 2nd rung and so on. For you about the 3rd rung is most likely enough in any case.

Julia Quigley

Thanks, Cole! That makes sense. Is it primarily lack of triceps strength? 

I can't even push up from the first rung right now, even with my butt right up against the stall bars. Upon reflection, I think that I shift a lot of weight to my feet and use my legs to press up, and the bars prevent me for doing that. I guess first step is trying to do them on the floor without relying so much on my legs :) 

Cole Dano

If that's the case try them with feet on the floor but under the bottom rung, this will limit your knee moving forward, which will make you use the same muscles needed when elevated. 

If you still have problems, post a form check, it may be a technical issue we can work out.

Julia Quigley

Perfect solution. I'll give it a go :)

Marcus Patterson
On 7/7/2015 at 8:28 PM, David Pearson said:

I am struggling with the same inability to push up into a bridge and can barely just lift my head off the floor. I'm strong. It doesn't compute. Raising my feet just makes it worse. For my own part, I know that I have limited mobility in my shoulders: I am not yet able to raise my arms in line with my ears. When I push down into the floor, my hands start to slip backwards away from my head making me come crashing back down. Interestingly, if I lay my hands on a couple of 3 inch high yoga blocks that are butted up to a wall, I can easily push up into the bridge. Is that because of the elevated hands relieving the shoulder tightness? Hard to say at this point. But, never give up! I WILL get this.

Exactly the same problem here. Strong but cannot even hold the bridge for a few seconds not to mention the pain in my wrists when I go up. This is after already doing all the handstand wrist prep!

Eva Pelegrin

Not strong enough for Bridge. 

Bridge certainly challenges our definition of "strong."

@Marcus Patterson try some of the modifications above from Cole. You will get it. Part of it is pushing pass the sticky point and pushing continuously and enough with both feet and hands.

Julia Quigley

@Marcus Patterson, I've never seen your bridge so I'm just speculating here, but if you don't have enough thoracic mobility yet, you'll be straining your wrist well beyond the handstand exercises. If you can't get your shoulders over your hands, that could be causing the pain. If that's the case, I'd do a modification for the bridge specific exercises to protect your wrists until your back opens up. 

Chris Banul

I just started the bridge series a month ago...I have been having trouble doing the hip taps.  And by trouble I mean I can only raise my hands about an inch off the floor.  I can do the one minute hold and ten bridge push-ps with no problem.  It's when the bridge taps come in I can't raise a hand without the supporting side failing.  Is there a way to scale this or troubleshoot?

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Chris, in order to help you I need to see your attempt from a front view, I need to see your possible error.

Chris Banul
On 1/1/2017 at 4:25 PM, Alessandro Mainente said:

Hi Chris, in order to help you I need to see your attempt from a front view, I need to see your possible error.

Thanks for the offer of help.   I figured out that I needed to have my feet further apart on the stall bars.  The wider base helps my stability when I tap my hip.  I guess as I get stronger I can eventually move my feet closer together.