This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Active pelvic tilt for pancake/straddle

Started by Christian Traynor, June 28, 2015 · 6 Replies · 319 Views

Christian Traynor

Hi guys.  I have a question about active flexibility in a pancake. When I sit in a pancake. Feet against a wall in front of me, and have a spotter push my lower back gently to aid my pelvic tilt, I can get pretty low and in total comfort too with pelvic tilt and a straight back.  I don't feel any doms the next day or anything. 

 

On my own, however, I can't sit forward at all and am totally hunched as though an invisible force is pulling my waist back. My frustration is that I feel i have the flexibility to be in the position comfortably but I just don't have the strength to do it myself.  I am locked and can't feel a stretch

 

I'm working through the stretch series and can feel the benefit but feel that this particular aspect of flexibility is holding me back drastically as I am not able to even begin to feel a stretch in this position only tense abs trying to keep me from falling backwards.

 

From looking at other threads, I feel the answer may be to keep trying whilst elevated on a block or cushion but I was wondering if any body had any top tips, drills for achieving the pelvic tilt, or strength to do so in order to perform the stretch correctly.

 

Thanks,

 

Chris

Wes Tan

Christian,

 

I would have to agree with the elevated position using a block, but have to say that you do not have the flexibility if you can't sit up straight unaided. It is going to take time for your posterior chain, particularly in the legs, to open up. I have found that performing l-sits in conjunction with pike and pancake stretches helps to inhibit the hamstrings and allow a deeper stretch. I assume sitting with legs together is even more difficult for you than sitting in straddle? 

 

Another nice way to help activate anterior pelvic tilt  (and focus the hamstring stretch) whilst in the seated legs together position, is to use a stretch strap around your feet. You can do this sitting on a block, but use your arms to dorsiflex the ankles and help achieve that allusive APT.

Christian Traynor

Hi Wes,

 

Thanks for the very genuine reply.

 

I can achieve pelvic tilt more easily with legs together and instead it is when I open them in to a pancake that I start to not be able to sit up or forward. As I open my legs, I feel tightness on the outer side of the legs where the glutes and thighs meet/outside of the hips. Not sure if that's normal.  Any way that sounds like great advice for helping the pelvic tilt along.  I am gonna try that.

 

Thank you

Wes Tan

Hi Christian,

 

It's unusual that you can achieve the anterior pelvic tilt with the legs together more than in straddle, as It's usually the hamstrings that limits people more from my limited experience  :)

 

Out of interest see how you get on trying the APT in this position http://goodtoknow.media.ipcdigital.co.uk/111/000003a26/8a89_orh100000w614/yoga-positions-tailor-pose.jpg

 

Does it change anything? The alteration in this position makes it easier on the long hip adductors and hamstrings but more intense on the short adductors. It also changes the rotation in the femurs, external rotation, so making it harder on the internal hip rotators on the lateral aspect of the pelvis (gluteus medius & minimus). I would look into stretching all these gluteal muscles too :-)

Christian Traynor

Hi there Wes,

 

Good to hear from you,

 

In this butterfly position I have the same issue.  I can't bring my heels right in even if I am squeezing like crazy! :facepalm:

I feel again as if I am falling back and my knees almost point up at 45 degrees in a V if looking from the same position you posted the picture of.  If I move my feet forward along the ground towards a pike, I can lean forward from the hips more and more.  With my knees still bent in the butterfly position but feet maybe around two feet forward, I can sit on my sit bones comfortably and lean forward.  

 

If you are going to be at Stroud, you will be able to see this embarrassing lack of flexibility (me) in person.  :D

Wes Tan

Hey Christian,

 

That's awesome! Coming to the Stroud seminar I mean, not the tight adductors :-) 

 

I'll certainly be there as I will be hosting Coach Sommer & Orench as they bring the Level 1 Seminar to Stroud again this year, can't wait!

 

Yep there is definitely some shortening through the adductors and internal hip rotators, as they both need to be open for you to achieve depth in the tailor pose, adductors more so in the pancake. You'll get plenty of inspiration and practical tips of how to work out those tight areas at the seminar! 

 

See you in a few weeks :-D

Christian Traynor

Cool cool.  See you then!