This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

SLS PE2: im do you need the twist?

Started by Thomas Mansfield, June 28, 2015 · 9 Replies · 339 Views

Thomas Mansfield

Hi guys,

 

 

my question is; do you need to do the twist in the twisting squats. I currently don't have a suitable surface to spin round on where I exercise and my attempts have left bits of skin on my floor. I've even tried a yoga mat, which just twisted up and ensnared my feet.

 

I am about to start my third cycle at mastery (I feel I've needed a long time to allow my body to adapt to this movement) and I am just doing 5 reps with my right leg in front and 5 reps with the left in front for each set.

 

Will I miss anything by not twisting each time except for a bit of balance? I've actually found by not twisting my weight stays on the outside of my feet even when fully stood up, give a nice stretch to the outside of my knees when the legs are extended.

 

I'll be interested to see what you guys think.

 

All the best

Tom

Michael Hart

I struggled at first on a rubber matting, then I tried it on a piece of old carpet in socks and its much easier.   I think you really need the transition.

john_c

I wear woolly socks and put a bit of spare vinyl flooring down on a yoga mat to make it nice and slippery which seems to work ok.

Stefano Baral

I also skip the twist, it was a socks destroyer...

Wes Tan

I concur with the socks solution  :D performing the twist properly means controlling the entire movement with balance and grace and will award you with benefits in the legs and feet for sure!

Edoardo Cagnola

I've also struggled quite a lot with this iM in the beginning but it became easier with practice. I used to do it on a thick yoga mat with socks on and from an elevated surface. I've mastered it sockless (is that even a word?) on the same yoga mat, but all the way to the ground of course. Now, some months after mastery, I can perform twisting squats on every floor in my house without problems. I guess my point is: do what it takes to make it work for you and put in the effort. Everything will fall into place, just keep at it! :)

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

I feel your pain. I've found that going slowly on a yoga mat and being sure to stay on the balls of your feet can allow for a smooth twist. This may also be because the balls of my feet are thoroughly callused (thus provided a smooth surface) from years of martial arts and running with soccer. If you do do it slowly though, your ankles and ankle flexors/extensors will feel a bit of work (which is clearly the point). Whatever works to ensure that you can do this movement, do that. GST is subjective, to a point. Wood, linoleum, vinyl, rubber matting, yoga matting, it's all relative so long as you can get all of the prescribed movements in. Do what helps you flourish, not flounder. On the things that initially flounder/struggle with spend more time on them (in front of the TV, or on a lazy Sunday morning) and you'll find that over time when you revisit them during a workout they'll be a bit easier. This is what I've come to realize and I hope it helps.

Coach Sommer

The twist is mandatory.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Cole Dano

If you use a yoga mat then put a thick towel or throw rug on it. The toes should be able to rotate freely on the floor.

Thomas Mansfield

Quick Update:

 

I'm just finishing my last 'hard' week before the deload week, doing full twisting squats this cycle. It definitely makes a difference, for anyone still not sure. 

 

I had a few blisters the first week but thick socks on carpet works very well.