This is not some poop-throwing which exercise is better question.
The value of GHR training has been well documented on this forum. However, I am hoping that someone will be able to expound upon this exercise in more detail. Particuarly, how does it hold up against the deadlift? Does the deadlift (or any of its variations) present any benefits over the GHR?
GHR is great for the glutes, hamstrings, and calves...but with correct PPT I have yet to feel it in my lower back. I wonder why Coach Sommer's original GHR article from years back mentions it as a great lower back exercise? Does the deadlift posess an edge in this regard with its more focus on the back musculature?
I have felt deadlift in my glutes, and the entire length of the spinal column, but never not once in the hamstrings and calves.
Do you think a combination of these two exercises would deliver great results in overall posterior chain development? Or is one not quite so necessary as the other? After all, 3x bw deadlifts are a dime a dozen, but I have only seen a mere handful of true full range no assisstance with correct pelvic postion GHR's, always performed by men with exceptional posterior leg development. But I think my question is more about the lower back training here.
Maybe an aside, and perhaps better question here is...clearly, GHR does not seem enough for the lower back. Where is all the exceptional lower back training for gymnastics coming from?