This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Hamstring Tendon Catching?

Started by Jason Dupree, June 26, 2015 · 6 Replies · 269 Views

Jason Dupree

Hey guys, I've been having trouble with Hawaiian squats and similar movements due to an issue where on the bent non working leg, it feels like my hamstring catches and will snap. I used to feel this in the piriformis. When doing this movement and the piriformis stretch, the more I anteriorly tilt my hip and rotate my knee lower, it suddenly opens and it goes to piriformis. I can feel a sensation like the tendon rolls over something and feels better. This has been a huge problem with the right leg, but is starting to show up with left leg. On stiff leg windmill, I feel the right biceps femoris get really stiff, as if it was just a big knot. Left leg feels it in hamstring belly. Thing is, I can't find any knots (using a chair, sitting and leaning over lacrosse ball).

I'm also doing stretch courses. Anything where I abduct the legs, I can't get them open far enough to stretch anything, it just stops.

I realise I'll probably need to see someone, maybe a chiropractor or something, but if anyone has any thoughts I'd love to hear them

Mark Collins

I have had this feeling in the past. Since my mobility has improved it has not happened.

Can you post a video of a side and front view? Its either your poor mobility or you are doing something wrong with your pelvic position.

Jason Dupree

https://youtu.be/DrMNSnmf0es

Here's a video. It's getting better, but there was still some snapping on these. I'm focusing on Anterior tilt and getting the raised knee as low as possible

Cole Dano

This is a fairly common sensation. As Mark says, it usually goes away with improved mobility. 

 

Personally my strategy has always been to stop and reset when the catching feeling comes.

 

In other words, if I feel the muscle start gin to catch, I'll back out enough for the feeling to go away, then go straight back into the stretch. It may take a couple of rests to get the muscle to move smoothly into the full stretch. But the goal is to train the muscles to smoothly move through the sticking point.

Mark Collins

It does not seem like your form is the problem. When you are sitting at home try sitting cross legged like you would have as a child. This is an easy way to improve your hip flexion/external rotation. Adding this to your current stretching will speed things up.

Jason Dupree

Could glute tightness be a big contributor to this? I remember them being much looser in the past.

Mitchell Church

I just had an MRI for a similar hamstring issue.  The hamstring tendon near the back of the knee would sort of tighten up after a few deck squats.  MRI came back negative for anything significant, it was just a slight pull of the muscle fibers, but now as a result of the injury the muscle wants to seize up.  I've been successfully rehabing it with stretching and slowly progressive work.  Now up to sets of 8 deck squats with little to no issue, but I started with sets of 2.