This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

SL/PE4 iM Standing weighted oblique stretch

Started by Matthew Berghella, June 26, 2015 · 5 Replies · 293 Views

Matthew Berghella

I'm not getting much of a stretch on this element.  All I get is ribs jamming into hip on both sides.  This might be one of those individual anatomical scenarios.  Or perhaps I shouldn't be going so far down into it.

 

Just wondering if anyone has experienced the same or knows something I don't!

 

 

RJS

this happens to me. I chalk it up to bones being in the way. That said, the point of bone on bone contact is farther than the example in the video. 

Mark Collins

You need to think of the spine forming a big convex curve otherwise you will hing at the hips or just the lower spine. I think of my spine like an arch bridge and try to make a big smooth arch so I feel it starch from the upper to lower back.

Jon Douglas

I like to hold the weight and then try to curl one vertebra at a time a la Jefferson curls. No jamming :)

Matthew Berghella

Many thanks for the comments above.  My thoughts about this are now: 

 

- the athlete in the video appears to bend predominately at the lumbar

- having said this, perhaps my thoracic mobility is lacking

- or it could be an individual biomech. scenario

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVdanRQqLy8&feature=youtu.be

mcneuen

I don't feel a stretch unless I focus on keeping my weight evenly distributed between my feet instead of transferring the load to the side holding the weight.