What is normal shoulder ROM?
I am an ex gymnast and a long time coach. I was not the best trained I'll admit. Manna progressions were not worked at all and I used to have the best iron M around. So my elbows are just great now(plenty of sarcasm) and the shoulders are rolled forward when I am relaxed.
I've followed GB for a long time and used it with my guys and always played around with planche work and ring support work. Over the past year I've started working more on my whole self actually trying to work the program. My question is about normal unweighted shoulder movement. Seems I have a HUGE imbalance.
If I am standing and my arms are by my side and straight, I can easily make my thumbs touch or my pinkeys touch (like ring support) with no problem keeping my arms straight. Behind my butt, not so much or should I say not at all. If i have thumbs turned in and I'm actively pinching the shoulder blades, I can squeeze arms together almost to waist width or just enough not to see my thumbs any more if im looking at a mirror. If I'm supinated the wrist are probably an extra 2 inches or so away from the waist on each side.
I used to have my guys pass a parallette around their body thumb to thumb and pinky to pinky as a pommel drill bc its obvious that mobility is needed for pommels. I just never noticed how bad mine is. There's no way I could do what I was asking them to do. I mean Im going through the bridge series and when we do shoulder extension "keeping the finger touching to be honest" i dont even try to slide open. I just squeeze the shoulder blades together with my palms flat on the ground hoping that one day they will touch and feel it plenty.
So I guess my question is what would be considered normal and has anyone here overcome this much immobility?