Weights for iron cross training

Started by irongymnast, August 27, 2009 · 5 Replies · 4,380 Views

irongymnast

I can't train on the rings when I'm not in the gym, because I don't have the space to mount the XR rings at home.

So I figured I might use weights.

I got 2 weights of 10lbs each.

Can I hold them in the iron cross posture in order to train for the iron cross?

Can you suggest other exercises with these weights that would be beneficial to my iron cross development?

Richard Duelley

If you want to train the cross with weights you need to hang upside down. 8)

Sternford

How heavy will the weights you're using (compared to your bodyweight) have to be before you are strong enough to do the cross?

NickD
Sternford said:
How heavy will the weights you're using (compared to your bodyweight) have to be before you are strong enough to do the cross?

I would assume half your body weight in each hand hanging upside down in cross position.

Simple enough, dont you think?

Sternford
NickD said:
I would assume half your body weight in each hand hanging upside down in cross position.

Simple enough, dont you think?

That's what I thought, just checkin'

braindx
Sternford said:
How heavy will the weights you're using (compared to your bodyweight) have to be before you are strong enough to do the cross?

Probably about 80-90% bodyweight... 40-45% each arm.

Rings will exhibit some inward tension which reduces load on the lats/chest (MUCH more if your rings are short strap and not regulation length).

Also, arms don't count towards holding the move... (well, they do with weights, but they don't when you're doing the move).

Don't train it too much with weights otherwise you will find that you lose the neuromuscular efficiecy for holding support position and movement on rings.... aka you will start shaking a lot and not be able to apply full power. This is why I am a fan of doing everything possible in your training on rings if you can.