This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Training throughout the day

Started by Systemic, June 23, 2015 · 11 Replies · 311 Views

Systemic

I recently started a push up/pull up challenge started by a guy I know. The challenge is basically doing 100 push-ups and 40 pull ups per day for 100 days. This kept me motivated throughout the day because it has been a while since I've worked out. Every time I start the foundation series I get lazy and quit after a month or so. 

 

Is it possible to spread the foundation program throughout the day instead of having a time slot for it during the day? Something like doing FL and it's mobility at this time of day, SP and it's mobility after an hour or so, etc.

 

Or will that limit strength gains?

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Is it possible? Yes. But that's not what I think you're trying to have answered. Whether or not it's practical and worthwhile? No, probably not. You want to build strength and work capacity with these workouts. By work capacity, endurance is a factor. While strength may increase through GTG, your work capacity may not be so much increased.

Freeflyer

You'll develop strength this way, but your work capacity will be limited, which may hurt later if you try to do more at a time or get into more advanced training.

 

That said, it's absolutely better than doing nothing, and if that is what it takes to keep you motivated and training, then go for it.  You may progress slower, but consistent training is by far more valuable than training hard for a month and giving up and moving on to the next shiny thing (trust me, I suffered from this syndrome for years).

dritar

It's also not very efficient, as you'll need to warmup every time.

Edoardo Cagnola

Have you tried doing the F3/F4 split? Workouts are extremely quick that way!

This may sound like an insult but it's not meant to be: if you keep quitting after a month maybe GST is not for you. Maybe you should start searching for something that you actually enjoy doing :)

Systemic
Edoardo Cagnola said:

Have you tried doing the F3/F4 split? Workouts are extremely quick that way!

This may sound like an insult but it's not meant to be: if you keep quitting after a month maybe GST is not for you. Maybe you should start searching for something that you actually enjoy doing :)

Where can I find the F3/F4 split?

Kasper Stangerup

It's simply doing 3 excercises on one day (day A) and the last four on another (day B). Then figure out if you want to train 3, 4 or 5 days a week and alternate the A and B days.

KSTL

.

Systemic

Isn't that just like the F1 schedule? 

 

It usually takes me from 1 hour to finish the workout, which for me makes me dread the workout. I don't think it's possible for me to finish it in 20 minutes.

Jon Douglas
Systemic said:

Isn't that just like the F1 schedule? 

 

It usually takes me from 1 hour to finish the workout, which for me makes me dread the workout. I don't think it's possible for me to finish it in 20 minutes.

 

Yes, it is. 3 or 4 elements in a single workout.If that is taking you an hour +, something is going wrong. Usual culprit, are you resting excessively between sets/exercises? Keeping the pace up is a major contributor to the benefits.

Systemic
Jon Douglas said:

Yes, it is. 3 or 4 elements in a single workout. If that is taking you an hour +, something is going wrong. Usual culprit, are you resting excessively between sets/exercises? Keeping the pace up is a major contributor to the benefits.

I usually rest 1-2 minutes between sets. I do the mobility work straight after PE. Is that excessive? Do I need to decrease the resting time?

Vincearoo

Too much rest if I'm understanding you correctly. You should do the Pe/iM back to back to back. No rest at all until you finish all 3-5 sets of that combination. You may rest a couple minutes between different elements, but if you're crunched for time then don't rest anywhere. I do it without rest because of time constraints.