I have a minor injury on my left wrist (maybe tendinitis or something) and was wondering if it's acceptable to get mastery on HBP/PE2 using dumbbells for support instead and proceed to PE3. My wrist doesn't bother me when gripping a dumbbell and doing pushups. I'll go back to non-dumbbells when my wrist gets better. I'm not at mastery yet, but I have no idea how long this injury will stick around for ![]()
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Pushups (HBP/PE2) on dumbbells for mastery?
Started by prinny, June 22, 2015 · 9 Replies · 263 Views
i'd say yes, only if PPP or Dip variations didn't come after. you might want to stick to accumulating some time to let that wrist not only heal but also start developing some specific strength to tackle PPP without creating annoying issues like having to take a step back completely from training.
if it allows you train painlessly, hang in the week 9-11 until you can do it on your wrists. suggesting to move forward would be irresponsible to say from the increased load on the wrists from the following progressions.
if you want to do something about that noise NOW, i'd suggest giving your forearms a goooooooooood massage. i sometimes get a particular feeling along the thumb/index finger from playing with PPP the closer i get to mastery on pushups, it doesn't push away the fact that my wrist mobility/strength still needs to improve, but it does keep the feeling from getting worse and hampering training.
Thanks. I can train painlessly on the dumbbells. I'll stick with week 9-12 as suggested. Fortunately, next week is a deload week, that should help as well. One question though, couldn't PPP be done on dumbbells too?
If it's one thing I need to learn, it's the difference between pain, strain, and discomfort. The muscle or tendon running down my thumb through my wrist feels more strained than anything when I press down with a flat palm. It kind of sneaked up on me.
Unrelated, gotta love Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood, so good!
prinny said:Thanks. I can train painlessly on the dumbbells. I'll stick with week 9-12 as suggested. Fortunately, next week is a deload week, that should help as well. One question though, couldn't PPP be done on dumbbells too?
If it's one thing I need to learn, it's the difference between pain, strain, and discomfort. The muscle or tendon running down my thumb through my wrist feels more strained than anything when I press down with a flat palm. It kind of sneaked up on me.
Unrelated, gotta love Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood, so good!
it can be done on dumbbells, but i'm thinking about your wrists here. if you can do it pain free, i'd be surprised since you'd be holding the dumbbells in a hammer grip, which will put strain on the thumb. the other alternative is turning the dumbbells to have your fingers pointing backwards but that is a progression in the wrong direction.
FMA Brotherhood is always relevant! bitchen series. ![]()
Got it. I didn't try doing PPP with them to see if there was gonna be strain or not. But I guess it doesn't matter, me and PE2 don't get along at all at the moment ![]()
Your wrist is telling you to back off, so back off. Some people are really thick skulled! ![]()
Yep, this thick skulled person will not be doing pushups with flat palms for a couple of weeks. +1 for the
list
rather than dumbells, if you have a couple of mats of the same height. you can put the palm portion near the wrist on the edge of the mat and the rest of the hand on the floor. this way is usful because hand pressure creates a sort of inclined surface and the stress over the wrist is reduced.
prinny said:Yep, this thick skulled person will not be doing pushups with flat palms for a couple of weeks. +1 for the
list
Don't be too hard on yourself; everyone wants to keep progressing :)I like Ale's suggestion here. What's up with the pain? Just overdone it a bit? Are you using H1 wrist work?
I do have a mat as Ale suggested, but it's a bit too high for me to use. Nah, I'm not being hard on myself at all, just making light of the situation
. It's more strain than pain. What's weird is I don't remember how it started, it was more of a "that feels weird" kind of thing after having not worked out for 2 weeks (just generally busy and all). I do H1 wrist work, but can't not because I'll feel my wrist straining when I put pressure on it. Hammer work all the way until it gets better!