This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Planning for One Year?

Started by Vytautas Pilkauskas, June 21, 2015 · 3 Replies · 302 Views

Vytautas Pilkauskas

Hello, dear people,

 

So I have thought much about this idea of planning my workouts for one year ahead.
What are your thoughts on this?

After reading this post by Coach and more valuale topics than before I started GB curriculum, I came to a conclusion that this can be very needed to optimize everyday work and effort at least psychologically. I know that a lot depends on mobility if you follow Foundation and Handstand courses but given the whole 12 week cycle and Stretch Series it is more likely predictalbe to achieve required mobility in 12, 24, 36 or 48 weeks (depending on how much more mobility you need since initial test). With the right programming and help you get in this forum it doesn't seem unrealistic to achieve any mobility exercise in more than 48 weeks (4 full cycles). The question is: how to know where you are and how much more you need at that mobility exercise.

 

Another thing

 

Although strength charts are very straightforward, and this might look like a stupid question but what chances there are to fail at week 11 if you follow the cycle from the week 1 or 5? It is intended to get you there but it will not necessarelly happen. Like my situation: I now finished HBP PE1. I did this exercise first in my mastery week workouts because it seems that this was the most taxing exercise energy-wise. It went good - I did 5x15 with a proper form and tempo, the last set was quite hard but I felt like I could do another set of at least 10 reps or add 3 or 4 more reps to the 5th set. So I say this is a mastery. Now I will start to follow PE2 from week 3. If it is going to be easy, I will do week 5 the next workout and so on. Like others in this forum, I have experienced that week 9 is too easy but week 10 is too much. Does this has something to do with the previous element at the same weeks?

 

And finally, can this ambitous one year plan be realistic to a person like me who has no valuable experience with programming in blocks and years? I am looking very seriously to GST and have an ambition to start Rings series in no more than 5 years. I am now at:

FL PE2 - failed at block 3, week 7 is easy, week 9 and following were too challenging, looking forward to start over after deload week

sPL PE1 - Swivel Hips is holding me back, I believe I will get to one arm planks really quick after this as I am comfortable with the Forearm Plank and Plank

SL PE3 - will do the last block after deload week, failed to maintain form in the last set at 5x10

MN PE2 - my PE3 form was poor so went back to Straddle Ups, need to correct issues here first as PE1 feels like nothing

SLS PE4 - need to work on achiles as I lean forward very much with the foot flat but if allowed will start SE1 after deload week

HBP PE1 - will start PE2  at week 3 after deload week

RC PE3 - will do the last block again after deload week as the last two sets are not quite smooth (the form breaks slightly doing the last rep or two)

HS PE5 - going to build up to 10 kg both PE and iM before starting PE6 (currently doing with 2,5 kg, could add weight to iM exercise but will get better at it as PE is now going to be only at week 5 after deload week so plenty of time)

 

Any comments?

 

Thank you very much

 

Keilani Gutierrez

V,

it might be a good idea to simply write a doc or on a notebook, the workouts you do to get an idea of how you progress in certain schedules, if you want to make meaningful strides in projecting how to project where you might end up in the future. i think this might not really work unless you look back rather than project to the future, because how else would you take into account the months it took you to master an exercise or mobility only to learn you were doing them subpar.

its a good idea to keep a notebook with what you are working on and some notes on whats been giving you grief or what you learned. it literally puts you in the mindset of doing the work to invest on earning more strength, mobility, skill. makes you never want to skip a day too :) every day worked is a day closer to a goal and personal growth.

the rest falls into place, I think. puts things into perspective to just do the work and let the learning take place as you practice.

Vytautas Pilkauskas

Hi

Thank you, that is very well said. I've got hooked on this idea after I thought that maybe following schedule from week 1 every time would get you to mastery in 12 or 24 weeks. But that can happen in 16 weeks as well. I wrote this 'vision' in my notebook where I want to see myself next June but it will not work most likely as I stepped back at one exercise and got stuck a little bit at the others. Looking back helps me understand the only thing that consistency is the key. That's why I'm looking for a plan. :)

One thing I want to know the most is how to avoid getting stalled at exercises and progress smoothly that's why I am thinking of doing a longer cycle of each exercise. That would make things a lot easier. Also, a plan would make sure I don't miss HS course, as F3 requires H2.

Ravn

Nine times out of ten, the best solution is to keep your head down and do the work. A plan is only as good as the implementation, and I'm pretty sure very few of us here has the experience required to make a GST-plan that has a basis in reality. After all, if we did, why would we buy the programs?

 

There are many other things requiring your intellectual attention, so I would reserve the GST-related planning to those instances where you actually experience stalled progress. Otherwise, just do as the programs instructs you.