This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Vertical pike walks

Started by Edoardo Cagnola, June 19, 2015 · 10 Replies · 391 Views

Edoardo Cagnola

So today I've started working on PE5. The strength element comes relatively easy (that was a good surprise), but the iM crushed me so bad. First of all, even though I know that this will probably not happen, I feel like the bars of the stall bars are gonna break under the pressure, so that's already something that is holding me back. Other than that I'm just able to go up to the point where there are three bars between my hands and feet. I've tried get in the final position in another way to see if I have the mobility to do it and I've got it, no problems. It just seems like I lack the strength to pull myself up with straight as and legs once I reach the three bars point. Any advice on how to progress on this, apart from just keep practicing? Thanks for your time :)

Ps: I'm not sure this actually matters, but I have veeery long limbs and a relatively short torso, so that could make things even harder for me..

Ravn

To make sure the bars won't break, grip the rung right at the edge where it meets the vertical stud. For the feet, once you lower yourself, you can distribute the load over two rungs, one at the heel, and one at the toes.

 

Other than that, just keep trying, you'll get there in time. The following two iM's are slightly easier, IME.

Rayne-William

In regards to standing up. Externally rotate your upper arms as you push down. If you watch the course video more closely you will notice the athlete externally rotates his upper arms as he comes to a standing position.

 

As your lats and your hamstrings continue to elongate with each successful workout, you will gradually be able to put your feet up on the fifth rung. 

Luzian

Yeah, I too found the MN/PE5-iM strengthwise much harder than the MN/PE5.

Edoardo Cagnola

Thanks guys! I'll implement all of your tips next session and see how it goes ( and build from there).

Bayer

I also had difficulty achieving a full stretch on the fifth and forth bar. But after 1 month of consistent training on bar 1-4 i feel MUCH stronger/comfortable in that position. 

 

I will probably be doing 1-5 after next week's deload. So my recommendation is to keep practicing on the highest bar that your current strength/mobility allows you to. Eventually you will find that it gets quite easier and can move up to the next bar. 

Edoardo Cagnola

Today I've applied all of your tips and I can say that the exercise definitely feels a lot better. I still stop at the 3 bars point but at least now I understand how the movement works and (hopefully) I'll be able to improve my ROM over time!

Having the arms near the vertical stud makes me feel much more stable and safe, but is it acceptable for mastery or should I work towards hands at shoulders width?

Ravn

Hand width makes no difference for mastery. It's the angle between torso and legs you want to close as much as possible.

mcneuen

I'm having a related problem:  I can't seem to figure out how to get into the starting position for the two top rungs without falling off.  I can go up and down on the 3rd rung quite smoothly, but I can't figure out how to even start the 4th rung (2nd from the top).  Advice much aprpeciated.

gmthebeau
mcneuen said:

I'm having a related problem:  I can't seem to figure out how to get into the starting position for the two top rungs without falling off.  I can go up and down on the 3rd rung quite smoothly, but I can't figure out how to even start the 4th rung (2nd from the top).  Advice much aprpeciated.

 

Bend your knees when getting up on the higher rungs.  The athlete in the video does this.  I started this progression recently as well, and I must agree its much harder for me than the strength progression.   I find my grip and forearms giving out....but I am making progress on it. 

Jon Douglas

Yes, this one had my forearms nearly numb doing five sets!