This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

whats your FLS/SLS warm up?

Started by Keilani Gutierrez, June 17, 2015 · 6 Replies · 316 Views

Keilani Gutierrez

hey guys :)


I'm beginning the transition of working SE2 with the single leg bridge curls and am wondering how to re-structure my warm up to accommodate the new elements.

once I mastered speed skater squats, i started only doing one (single leg) progression in my warm up. it looks like this:

warm up
deck squats - 10r / skiers - 10r / Cossack squats - 10r per leg / twisting squats - 10r / inside squats - 5 reps / speed skater squats - 5r per leg / natural leg extension - 5r

working sets
Hawaiian squats - shoulder bridge curl

once the Hawaiian squats were mastered, i reshuffled my warm up to look like this.

warm up
deck squats - 10r / skiers - 10r / Cossack squats - 10r per leg / twisting squats - 10r / inside squats - 5 reps / natural leg extension - 5r / Hawaiian squats - 5r / shoulder bridge curl - 5r

working sets
static single leg squat / single leg bridge curl

so, my question is how have you guys been warming up once you start moving deeper into the SE stage? if it were something like Front Lever, it'd feel pretty straight forward to do some hollow body hold/rocks, then do some body lever variation before jumping into the hanging FL variations but with leg work, im still wondering how to go about it without being a warm up hero or redundant with the movements. repeating all the iM's back to back without rest feels fine and I feel like keeping Deck Squats and Cossacks have helped improve squat mobility, but if i add in each leg variation my warm up starts being a little too long.

thoughts?

Chris Garay

Hey Keilani,

 

That does seem like a long warm-up when it's all written out, but I suppose it only takes a few minutes in-person. Another idea, now that you have more previously mastered elements at your disposal, is just to pick a few different ones each day. It might not be the same exact warm-up each session, but you'll re-visit each particular PE, SE, and iM at least once over the course of a few weeks.

 

While on topic, a couple times I did the entire SLS/FLS track straight through. It was long after I had completed the 5x5 lunges at BW, and it was all I did that day (kind of a work capacity test). It. Was. Hard.

 

Best,

Chris

Jon Douglas

I do that 2-3* a week, starting with skiers and doing all ims through F2, then SLS as a warmup for F4 FLS. See F3 thread SLS vs. Lunge, which link I will post later when I get off my phone :) it doesn't take long at all once you get into it.

Keilani Gutierrez

thats what im refering too, all the iM's I can manage no sweat(no pun intended) but its the inclusion of all the leg elements that kinda makes me feel like im spending too much time on them. one of the reasons i've been keeping the reps low in place of the 21/15/9 warm up scheme from the course recommendation.

 

edit: found the link. guess i'll put Deck Squats and what have you in a conditioning day.  I think I can do all the iM's in every warm up. that'd be fun. :)

Jon Douglas
Keilani Gutierrez said:

thats what im refering too, all the iM's I can manage no sweat(no pun intended) but its the inclusion of all the leg elements that kinda makes me feel like im spending too much time on them. one of the reasons i've been keeping the reps low in place of the 21/15/9 warm up scheme from the course recommendation.

 

edit: found the link. guess i'll put Deck Squats and what have you in a conditioning day.  I think I can do all the iM's in every warm up. that'd be fun. :)

 

You'll be amazed at how injury-proof you rapidly become. Seriously, I've done some stupid stuff alongside a lot of running in boots, and this series has let me get away with a *lot*.

emilianop

I usually bike to the gym, so by the time I get there I'm already in some sort of pre-warm-up stage.

 

I've recently tested with a variation of Deck Squats that turned out to be pretty challenging to me. What I do is basically rolling back like you see in the first photo of the course, pull my knees against my shoulders/chest and while I get back up try not to detach them from the chest. It's surprisingly hard and it triggers quite a lot of muscles on the front chain.

 

That, plus some further rep of miscellanous walks (straight legs hands on the floor, fully squatted back straight, etc.etc.) usually does the job for me.

 

richardstone

Hi,

I normally do all F1 both PE's and im's up to SE3. One or two sets usually after or before collecting my daughter from school on the bike. Cycling up hill with a kid on the bike is good, especially when she asks why I am going so slow.