This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

F1 & Dislocates

Started by Ezekiel, June 17, 2015 · 6 Replies · 296 Views

Ezekiel

Hi. I'm currently doing the first cycle of F1 (4 days template) along with my training of BJJ. The only modification that I do is the add of shoulder dislocates (super slow, 5lbs load, 1 set of 15 reps looking for a narrow grip every week). Im doing the dislocates everey day when a finish F1 workout. Its OK? or maybe its too much? thanks

Jason Dupree

4 days might be pushing it, 2-3 is plenty. There are many people on the forum that reported slower progress doing weighted mobility too often. You might be able to handle it though. As far as trying to narrow it each week, try starting at a challenging width and keep it there until it is easy, then narrow it a bit so it's challenging again and repeat. You won't plateau this way

Alessandro Mainente

I do not suggest directly dislocates that can be pretty hard or untrained connective tissue. handstand one provides a correct approach to dislocates.

Alexander Egebak
Ezekiel said:

Hi. I'm currently doing the first cycle of F1 (4 days template) along with my training of BJJ. The only modification that I do is the add of shoulder dislocates (super slow, 5lbs load, 1 set of 15 reps looking for a narrow grip every week). Im doing the dislocates everey day when a finish F1 workout. Its OK? or maybe its too much? thanks

You might want to do it 2-3 times a week instead as others have mentioned.

 

Perhaps post a form check to see if you are doing it correctly?

 

Also, you want to pay attention so tightness and sounds that may occur in the shoulders. If that happens you know you are out for trouble.

 

Do not expect to be able to narrow the grip every week, that is pretty ambitious, especially as you are closing in on shoulder weight grip. General rule is to build weight for a certain grip width then narrow it down and start over. There is an article in the Mobility section on shoulder dislocates to get you started.

 

H1 breaks shoulder dislocates apart so that every can train towards doing them, some people have more compromised shoulder mobility than others. If you have good shoulder mobility than perhaps you may not need the initial steps.

 

Other than that H1 will also provide you with advanced versions of the exercise, and in general the shoulder mobility, wrist conditioning and handstand exercises are very good and will support foundation progress very well.

Jon Douglas

From my current perspective, I would stick to 2x a week doing dislocates with weights whilst developing the flexibility / strength. Dislocates with bands would be fine on another couple days if you like.

Can't be stressed enough that the benefits come from consistency, not all out efforts.

The Hansenator

I might take that advice.

 

So, weighted dislocates twice/week and band dislocates twice/week would be a reasonable plan?

Jon Douglas

Reasonable. However, still doing the motion 4x a week? I'd watch for any anterior laxity (relative to strength), and not think twice about dropping a band day in favour of a strength day feeling more comfortable :)

I'd even hazard that, for a MWF training schedule, training MF with bands and W with heavy weights towards (but not reaching) true max might be even better for the average trainee. But 2x is good provided you actively monitor it.