This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

slspe:2-im Question

Started by Wackybaby, June 15, 2015 · 8 Replies · 168 Views

Wackybaby

I can likely do 'Cossack Squats' till the proverbial "cows come home", but how I perform the iM 'Twisting squats' are laughable and sometimes dangerous looking. I can currently, at best, get three pretty sloppy looking reps performed.

 

Any tips on performing these?

 

Scott

 

 

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Keep at it. Or put sonething under your butt which allows you to perform all the reps with passable form. Once there, decrease the height of said 'under the butt' object until you're doing the movement on the ground. Once THERE then focus on mastery: of sets by reps and form.

Jeremy Huston

Like Daniel said put something under your butt . Take it easy with the range of motion at first. This one can mess up your knees if you're not careful .

Ryan Reynolds

Post a video

korija

i cant remember how many times i failed before i started getting it right, just keep at it!

Jon Douglas

Sitting on a mat or cushion seems to be the fix for most people.

Are you able to lower into the sitting position pretty smoothly and without falling? If not, definitely elevate to any point you lose control of the movement, and build up reps there. It will come :)

Wackybaby

 

I can lower into the sitting position pretty smoothly and without falling, maybe once, but then when I rise up from the position I usuallly throw myself off balance and hopefully am not near any ledges or sharp objects because... :facepalm:
 
OK, I think that's great advise! I have a mat, some boxes and weight plates for more elevation if I need it.
 
Thank you all!!!

 

WrldsGr8testDad

I started cossack/twisting squats in early October 2014;  I will probably be ready to test for mastery in 2-3 weeks.  I used the formula everyone is recommending here:  elevated my butt with 3 gymnastics mats.  Then 2, then 1, then none.  I was exceptionally inflexible when I started Foundation last spring (deck squats took me about 5 months, using the same elevate-the-butt scaling).  All of that is to say:  be ready for a LOOONNNGG journey with this progression.  And good luck.

kingzlo
korija said:

i cant remember how many times i failed before i started getting it right, just keep at it!

That reminds me of what a friend told me one time at my last job, not about work, but I used to talk about certain goals and some struggles through it.  "Failure, failure, failure!"  Not stated sarcastically, but in a sense of understanding and he too was in a similar boat with his goal.  How else can one progress?  That's not really a question, more like what has to be done to go where one has to, to go for some thing(s) take time to perfect.   :)

 

A few months ago, in April (my daughters birthday), I was struggling to get up from that position as I sat in that position periodically at her birthday party, struggling to get up.  My legs (hips, etc) felt stiff to execute the movement cold.  

 

I was at the park today, with my daughter.  Periodically, I'm sitting in that seated position and was surprised how I can get up with ease now, even sitting into it.  I even told my daughter (5 years old / 4 feet tall) to stand in front of me (arms length) so I can pick her up from that position.  Then I told her "remember how I couldn't get up from that at your birthday party?"

 

Going through this position smoothly today made this fathers day extra special.  :D

 

Give it and the various workouts time, and with patience you'll get there.