L-sit

Started by Alexander Egebak, June 14, 2015 · 5 Replies · 3,373 Views

Alexander Egebak

Should the L-sit be trained on the floor or on P-bars?

 

I prefer the floor version since I do not have P-bar but I realize that going directly for a floor L-sit is harder because you eliminate the tuck L-sit-progression.

 

But I guess a lot of hollow holds, leg lifts and plank variations will get me there eventually in spite of the fact that I cannot train it on bars. And I do not have sturdy chairs, parallets etc. either...

 

Any thoughts?

Alexander Egebak
Zach Armijo said:

The floor leaves zero room for bad form or compensation elsewhere. You will find it much easier on elevated surfaces. Keep it to the ground IMO. 

I was also thinking in terms of wrist strength vs finger extensor strength. Although I guess it is not a big deal how will training it on the floor impact future strength training?

chuchodani
Zach Armijo said:

The floor leaves zero room for bad form or compensation elsewhere. You will find it much easier on elevated surfaces. Keep it to the ground IMO. 

I was doing it on the floor because it feels more natural and difficult, but foundation uses parallel bars so I moved again to P-bars. If you said that's better on the floor, I will move to the floor again. In terms of mastery it doesn't matter if I doing it on the floor, or do you recommend to move on when mastery is achieved on P-bars even if you're floor one is not at mastery level ?

Alexander Egebak
chuchodani said:

I was doing it on the floor because it feels more natural and difficult, but foundation uses parallel bars so I moved again to P-bars. If you said that's better on the floor, I will move to the floor again. In terms of mastery it doesn't matter if I doing it on the floor, or do you recommend to move on when mastery is achieved on P-bars even if you're floor one is not at mastery level ?

One thing you could do is moving to the floor once you have mastered PB L-sit. You will not need much adaption in the fingers before being able to handle it on the floor - assuming you have perfect form.

 

That is at least my thoughts, but I would like to hear from others as well.

gunslinger_burrito

I learned l sits on some pvc parallettes before moving to the floor. You can find plans for making some with a quick google search, and they probably won't set you back more than $20. Then you have an extra training apparatus :)

Mikel

I use my PVC P-bars to encourage myself. Then I try the same movement on the floor and rings. I find the L-sit floor version harder than on P-bars since I need harder compression. I believe that using the three pieces of apparatus sheds light into different aspects of the exercise and the weaknesses I may have.