Hi,
I am currently on a 4 days week F2/H1 schedule, and I was thinking about adding two days of 10 x 60 sec. sprints each week. Does anyone have any knowledge on how this will affect my GB training?
Thanks ![]()
Started by Jcweldingh, June 14, 2015 · 9 Replies · 3,849 Views
Hi,
I am currently on a 4 days week F2/H1 schedule, and I was thinking about adding two days of 10 x 60 sec. sprints each week. Does anyone have any knowledge on how this will affect my GB training?
Thanks ![]()
Hi Jcweldingh,
Many forum members supplement their Foundation and Handstand work with running, but perhaps not exactly in the manner you described. 10 x 60 second sprints is quite a bit of volume, especially if you are adding running for general health and fitness and not as a specialization or priority. Perhaps one day of 15-30 minutes aerobic work and one day of 5-10 x 10-30 sec sprints (with adequate rest intervals) might be a more balanced approach?
Best,
Chris
Chris Garay said:Hi Jcweldingh,
Many forum members supplement their Foundation and Handstand work with running, but perhaps not exactly in the manner you described. 10 x 60 second sprints is quite a bit of volume, especially if you are adding running for general health and fitness and not as a specialization or priority. Perhaps one day of 15-30 minutes aerobic work and one day of 5-10 x 10-30 sec sprints (with adequate rest intervals) might be a more balanced approach?
Best,
Chris
Thank you, Chris. I'll give that a go.
Christian
I'm running long runs for more than two years and started GB a year ago.
I'm doing F7 twice a week, H three times a week, stretch three times a week and run three times a week and it's great, but I don't know much about sprints training. but I can tell you that it is better to start sprints training when you got basic physical prepertion from long runs.
I hope I'm clear...
When i started running i felt somehow stronger in gst and since then i run 7 km for 3 times in week. Go ahead and try to do few running sesions and see how it works for you.
To much of cardio is bad thing for strenght so dont kill yourself. Try to search threads about cardio here on forum, there were some discusions before about it.
Itamar Sha said:I'm running long runs for more than two years and started GB a year ago.
I'm doing F7 twice a week, H three times a week, stretch three times a week and run three times a week and it's great, but I don't know much about sprints training. but I can tell you that it is better to start sprints training when you got basic physical prepertion from long runs.
I hope I'm clear...
I am an experienced runner, so sprints are not a problem. I was simply wondering if running had a negative effect on strength and/or mobility. GST is priority number one, so I want to be sure not to mess it up ![]()
This is probably a stupid question, but what is F7?
Thanks.
Pafke said:When i started running i felt somehow stronger in gst and since then i run 7 km for 3 times in week. Go ahead and try to do few running sesions and see how it works for you.
To much of cardio is bad thing for strenght so dont kill yourself. Try to search threads about cardio here on forum, there were some discusions before about it.
Yeah, I have heard that too much cardio might have a negative effect on strength. Do you jog for 7 km or do you run intervals?
Christian
Jcweldingh said:I am an experienced runner, so sprints are not a problem. I was simply wondering if running had a negative effect on strength and/or mobility. GST is priority number one, so I want to be sure not to mess it up
This is probably a stupid question, but what is F7?
Thanks.
Yeah, I have heard that too much cardio might have a negative effect on strength. Do you jog for 7 km or do you run intervals?
Christian
Running does not affect my strength or mobility for bad, and I don't think that it affect anyone, but I sure that if you will do too much it will affect, like everything that is done too much.. you need to gather all the things that you want to do and find the best schedule for you.
F7 is training the 7 foundation elements in a single workout, F3+F4 is training 4 foundation elements in a single workout and then the other 3 elements in the next workout.
F3+F4 training is not an official name, but refers to individual courses. F7, three day split, four day split, five day split are all different ways of distributing the training throughout the week. Please use the correct terms so we can maintain clear communication.
Jcweldingh said:Yeah, I have heard that too much cardio might have a negative effect on strength. Do you jog for 7 km or do you run intervals?
I jog all 7 km with same tempo, it takes around 30 min to complete that.
Just a thought... the idea that "too much cardio can reduce your strength gains" needs to be placed in context. If you are a competitive powerlifter, then simultaneously training for a marathon might impede your progress, true. The body adapts to the specific demands imposed upon it, and striving to make concurrent adaptions in both maximal strength and long-duration endurance will yield sub-optimal results in both.
That said, I assume most people here are not competitive powerlifters. Rather, we use Gymnastics Strength Training to increase our physical fitness. Part of the reason GST works so well is because it includes so many qualities: relative strength, muscular endurance, flexibility, coordination, balance, etc.
With this in mind, I believe Coach has recommended running (or other monostructural activities) for the added cardiovascular and respiratory adaptations that are beneficial to one's overall physical fitness. And one can incur these benefits with fairly minimal time investment (20-30 minutes, 2-3 times per week most likely, highly depending on the individual).
Just my $.02, and I'm sure if you search the forum there will be other threads with worthwhile information in them as well! Thanks for reading.
Best,
Chris