This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Where do you do Jefferson Curls?

Started by Alan Tseng, June 14, 2015 · 13 Replies · 442 Views

Alan Tseng

I recently relocated and was hoping to find out where other people do Jefferson Curls to give me an idea of where I can do mine too. 

 

Also not sure how willing commercial gyms are to me doing JC's (and whether if it's even worth spending hundreds of dollars a year just to do 1 exercise.)

Dylan Robertson

Get a barbell and a chair/bench and you're good.

RJS
Dylan Robertson said:

Get a barbell and a chair/bench and you're good.

exactly. you dont even need the chair.. Im on a cinderblock over here

Jon Douglas

I did a chair and a 20kg kb for quite a while.

thecolin

At 50% or more of body weight I think a more solid purpose built structure will be required. Though I'm sure you can get one for less than the cost of a gym membership.

 

Maybe one of those adjustable steps they use in aerobics? Or a plyo box?

Keilani Gutierrez

plyo box with a wide base has been useful as has a high step.

Alan Tseng

Hmm, a plyobox near me costs me $150, a barbell costs another $80 (not including weights), and I will have to get some additional gym matting (because of floor tiles for another $80).

 

Some gyms like planet fitness is $10 a month, but then not sure if they will actually allow me to do something like the JC's.

 

However, if I were to get a plyobox, I would want something with grips that allows me to do me sPL iM's, while being tall enough for me to do the arch-up and reverse leg lifts in SL progressions.  Can anyone recommend me anything for it?

Sensei JP

I've been doing my Jefferson curls on my second last step of my staircase.  It gives me enough room on the bottom, as my hands and the bar essentially dangle just above the ground, though the top position I have to make sure I don't bump into the railing.

Cole Dano

Arch ups same table, 50lb bag of sand on it, lay on  a chair and brace feet under table.

 

Cinder blocks will also work for J curls.

thecolin

This is turning into quite a conversation.  :D

 

I've found the advantage to having a single sturdy platform to work on is that it is useful for a lot of things. There are lots of easy substitutes, but non that can cover all my needs. The disadvantage of course is the extra cost.

 

I'd say that if you have extra space, and less money then make due. If you have a bit to invest, go with a purpose built, multi-duty platform that can cover all your needs.

 

My primary concern as I said previously, was around the safety of standing on regular furniture with heavy J-curls. A phone book or block wouldn't be high enough for my personal needs. But that's a judgement everyone can make on their own.

Cole Dano

Sure, it seems this is more J curls on a budget. So answers are according to that.

 

Personally I have a couple of foam spotting blocks I use. Light easy to move, and not for someone on a budget.

 

BUT I suppose that's another option, styrofoam blocks and a  lot of duct tape.

gmthebeau
Keilani Gutierrez said:

plyo box with a wide base has been useful as has a high step.

I use a plyo box too.  You can probably build one very easily if you don't want to pay as much as they cost.

Oompa2

Is kitchen table too far?

I've done then on Plyo-boxes (like many), weight lifting benches set to horizontal, stacks of plate weights, chairs and a Tyre.

 

- Callum