I only recently heard of forearm stands and decided they look interesting and might try them. The problem is whenever I get into one if I don't lean much more to my left side, my right shoulder starts hurting very badly and I have to stop. Would anyone have an idea of the cause and how to fix it?
Forearm Stands And Shoulders
Started by Sternford, August 25, 2009 · 6 Replies · 3,545 Views
sounds like one shoulder is tighter than the other.
last time i tried that yoga forearm stand, it seems to ask for some shoulder flexibility that is tough for mine to give. weird, interesting way to balance that i ultimately i don't care too much about but should be able to do for the sake of.
In the York Handbalancing course it has it as a progression of a regular handstand. I mostly want to have it so someday I can do a tiger bend. How to I loosen up that shoulder?
hows your handstand?
video it and put it up here
My handstand is extremely inconsistent. I hold a good one about 2/3 the times I kick up. I found taht my handstands are more stable though when I press into them, so in the video that one's first.
Sternford,
In this case, a bit of the poison can serve as the antidote. You can do supported forearm stand with feet on the floor, similar to downward dog from yoga, and increase or decrease varying distance and intensity from the legs.
You can also take forearm stand against the wall, belly/chest on the floor, and forearms on the wall, elbows in the crack where floor meets wall. Drop your head and depress your scapulae as you try to bring your armpits towards the floor.
Both will undoubtedly expose deficiencies in rotator cuff strength, as your wrists will slide together.
Ido Portal also has a few exercises that will help open your chest and shoulders for the handstand, so you can begin to play with a more open shoulder angle. Unfortunately they're too lengthy to describe effectively, but maybe they're on his site? I don't know.
best of luck,
jason
Thanks for the advice. For the second thing you mentioned I assume the goal besides bringing the shoulders to the floor is to keep the wrists from coming together?