This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

seiza variations - ankle pain

Started by Vinay Ramineni, June 13, 2015 · 3 Replies · 209 Views

Vinay Ramineni

I've noticed that when I do elevated seiza and squatted seiza, my medial ankle (around deltoid ligament)  becomes painful. This happened both before and after I've been trying to make the heels come together, although I think it's worse when I'm trying to make heels come together. I think this is because I have tight ankles, so as I'm moving the stretch closer to what it should be, this issue is becoming more pronounced.

 

Any tips on how to scale these stretches to give my ankles the time they need to adapt? Cheers.

Cole Dano

Is it just painful when you are doing the exercise or does it remain painful for any length of time after you've finished it?

Vinay Ramineni

It's sore afterwards for a minute or two, then fades away. If I were to repeat the stretch, however, it returns. It definitely isn't the normal discomfort that goes with stretching properly.

Coach Sommer

You are stretching too hard. Ease up.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer