This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Planche leans - ground and elevated

Started by Stigz, June 11, 2015 · 1 Replies · 223 Views

Stigz

Hey Everyone, 

 

Had a question with Planche Leans - these used to be my nemesis but it's amazing how fast your body adapts. 

 

Anyway, i usually have my fingers at the 9 and 3 position, fingers forwards tends to jack my wrist up, and i know coach said avoid fingers back until you have the brachialis strength (and even then not a good idea). 

 

My question is on the lean - with both moves we should endeavor to lean as far forward as possible - to the point just before breaking, correct? 

 

With the regular planche lean, I have been looking more for position over time - with a slight lean, I have 30s holds all day - but with a more dramatic lean (almost having my hands directly under my hips, solid hollow position, and up on my toes) I'm just now being able to execute 30s holds. 

 

I think i know the answer, but my question is that we should master the most extreme lean we can before progessing to more advanced moves, correct? This is to load up the joints and muscles as much as possible so execution of a true planche isn't as debilitating, right? 

Alexander Egebak
Stigz said:

Hey Everyone, 

 

Had a question with Planche Leans - these used to be my nemesis but it's amazing how fast your body adapts. 

 

Anyway, i usually have my fingers at the 9 and 3 position, fingers forwards tends to jack my wrist up, and i know coach said avoid fingers back until you have the brachialis strength (and even then not a good idea). 

 

My question is on the lean - with both moves we should endeavor to lean as far forward as possible - to the point just before breaking, correct? 

 

With the regular planche lean, I have been looking more for position over time - with a slight lean, I have 30s holds all day - but with a more dramatic lean (almost having my hands directly under my hips, solid hollow position, and up on my toes) I'm just now being able to execute 30s holds. 

 

I think i know the answer, but my question is that we should master the most extreme lean we can before progessing to more advanced moves, correct? This is to load up the joints and muscles as much as possible so execution of a true planche isn't as debilitating, right? 

Fingers forward and if you like slightly outwards.

 

You should continue to build on your lean until you can literally lift yourself up in a slightly piked planche. I made an elaborate post in the F1 wiki which I cannot share with you.

 

I like to keep the freebalancing planche variations as skill work while using the leans as my primary strength builder. First, you want a good planche lean though, think of creating a 45 angle from hands to body.