This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

MN/PE6 - Chin-Up Grip

Started by Sean Hunter, June 9, 2015 · 4 Replies · 173 Views

Sean Hunter

I'm having trouble NOT using my lats in this movement. I can tell i am, because on the

negative i feel my torso drop a little bit.

 

But my arms are straight the entire time.

 

I've found that attempting this mn/pe6 with a supinated grip takes the back out entirely.

Making it extremely more difficult. 

 

Would it benefit me to train this movement with chin up grip for a few months?

Or is this a flexibility/mobility issue?

 

Note: my toes aren't touching the bar. I can only get the point where the foot meets the

shin to touch...

 

Thanks!

 

p.s. On MN/PE5>iM (pike hang) I'm getting to a point where it feels as if my right hip is about to pop out of it's socket...what's this all about? My forehead is at about the top of my shin at my greatest ROM.

Jeremy Huston

Do the exercise as prescribed (overhand grip).  Get yourself into the starting position however you can and then concentrate on the negative.  Future progressions will address taking the lats out of the picture.  1 step at a time.

thecolin
Sean Hunter said:

I'm having trouble NOT using my lats in this movement. I can tell i am, because on the

negative i feel my torso drop a little bit.

 

But my arms are straight the entire time.

 

 

I think the important factor for not using your back and lats is that your upper body doesn't move relative to your arms. If your upper back lifts off the bars, you're definitely using your lats to pull. The more you can keep your back fully pressed against the bars throughout the movement, the less upper body will be involved. If you kept your entire back pressed against the bars with full ROM, it would be pure hip work.

 

I found this progression tricky, as the first part of the movement strongly recruits the back muscles as you pull yourself into the 'start' position at the top, which generally has you with your arms 90 degrees relative to your body and your back parallel to the ground. I found it really hard not to use the lats in the negative portion, since they are so strongly recruited in the beginning.

 

I think the key might be to get at least your upper back fully on the bars before starting the negative. Though mobility is the severely limiting factor here.

 

One thing you could try would be to push against the bar with your feet until your back is on the bars then start the negative movement.

Jason Dupree
Jeremy Huston said:

Do the exercise as prescribed (overhand grip).  Get yourself into the starting position however you can and then concentrate on the negative.  Future progressions will address taking the lats out of the picture.  1 step at a time.

Yes, there is a certain progression that specifically addresses this, I don't have the whole course memorized but i think it's the next one :)

Jon Douglas

As above. Do your best to eliminate the habit now but rest assured you will not be allowed to take it easy for long :D