This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Stretch element to help swivel hips?

Started by Sam Deamer, June 8, 2015 · 4 Replies · 372 Views

Sam Deamer

I've been chipping away at swivel hips for over a year now and have had some minor improvements in ROM but I was wondering if there were any specific elements in the Stretch series that I could add as homework to help my internal rotation for swivel hips?

 

I tried to just do more swivel hips throughout the week but I get joint pain in my knees.

 

Any help would be much appreciated.

 

Cheers

 

Sam

Cole Dano

If swivel hips are causing pain in the knees you are leveraging t0o hard on the internal rotation.

 

One thing that can help keep it out of the knee when doing concentrated internal rotation work is to strongly flex the foot and tense the knee.

 

Try your best to make the internal rotation happen by using your hip muscles and not simply levering against the foot on the floor.

 

As for the Middle Split Course, it necessarily favours external rotation.

Sam Deamer

Thanks Cole,

 

Yes I've just recently found that flexing the foot whilst pushing it against a wall (to tension the quads/knee) helps to reduce the ache. basically I apply only as much pressure in internal rotation as I can to feel a light  stretch in the back of my hip (it feels like glute mainly) but it does feel insignificant for the most part.

 

Progress after this first year  hasn't been so much in ROM but just in my ability to do the movement without anterior hip pain.

 

I'm not complaining, I love the program and the process, just searching.

 

Cheers

Vytautas Pilkauskas

What helps me with internal rotation a lot is 'single leg internal rotations in a squat' don't know how to call that other way. At first I needed to sit on a higher surface rather than being in a squat and rotating one leg inwards while keeping the side of the foot and glutes in contact with floor and box respectively at all times and holding the leg at the bottom for about 30 seconds after the last rep. At first it was very humbling to be able to do this with so little ROM that it was barely a move. Now I don't need a box anymore, I only use my hands for help to elevate hips a little bit. And now I do swivel hips on a 1 cm mat with more or less full ROM (took nearly 6 months though). Hoping to nail it on the floor really soon.

Sam Deamer

What you said Cole about leveraging too hard made me think. I played around with it and realise now what you mean, the last few workouts I've been focussing on squeezing the muscles around my hip to create internal rotation (instead of "leveraging" with relaxed hips) and getting major cramps and feel like I'm progressing in ROM finally!! So thank you :)

And Vytautas I haven't tried your suggestion yet but about to head to the gym now so will try it out, cheers.