This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

wide hurdler knee soreness

Started by Vinay Ramineni, June 6, 2015 · 3 Replies · 202 Views

Vinay Ramineni

I noticed right when I finished the wide hurdler that the inside of the extended knee (around pes anserinus) got sore on exiting the stretch. It's the same soreness that I used to get a while ago when I was blindly fumbling around with middle splits by myself - it would come upon exiting the splits, and was sometimes there and sometimes not. Is the solution with the wide hurdler stretch to reduce the "width" of the hurdle position? And are there other factors I should alter?

 

Cheers.

Coach Sommer

Reduce the width of the stretch and elevate the hips as needed to appropriately reduce the intensity.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Vinay Ramineni

Thanks for the pointers Coach.

Vinay Ramineni

I've reduced the intensity and it no longer is sore when I do this stretch, but I've noticed there's a mild discomfort around the same spot in the left medial knee when I do anything where I'm actively extending the knee and engaging medialis (including a lot of front split stretches, and straddle ups). I've greatly reduced ROM for all the extended knee stretches, and I don't feel any soreness most of the time. It's just this vague sensation that that area has been a little over-stretched, and at times there's a bit of discomfort.

Does this mean I should reduce ROM of all extended knee stuff even further to the point where I feel no stress at all in that area, or stop doing those stretches completely for a while? And should I stop doing straddle ups for a while, until this mild discomfort goes away?