This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Mastering the Hinge in Hinge Row

Started by JonathanSilverman, June 1, 2015 · 7 Replies · 538 Views

JonathanSilverman

I have trouble doing the hinge portion of the Hinge Row.  

I don't really know how to tell my body to bend forward,  it tends to just turn it into a row, and not a true hinge row.  

 

Does anyone have any tips or cues for getting used to performing a hinge?  

 

jules

You can learn the hinge row pattern by starting in the end/top position (arms bent at 90o, hips under rings etc). In this position, sit on something so that the hips and lower body cant move.  From here you can practice lowering into the start position and then back to the top. By doing a bunch of these you can help to groove the pattern into your body.  And of course, this exercises doesn't count as a working set, only an introduction.

 

Also, you could just be very weak in the end range. Coach said somewhere that if you are having problems with the hinge rows, you should build up sets of hinge row static holds (top position). 

Jason Dupree

Think drop the hips, push the chest forward. Your hips shouldn't actually drop closer to the floor, but it's the thought that counts ;)

Joshua Slocum

Some cues to try out:

- think of it as a sit-up where you can use your arms for assistance

- try to let your hips drop just before pulling with the arms

- try to bring your chest forward as far as possible without moving your feet

See if thinking about any of those help you to "hinge"

Mark Collins

I would practice the movement with your buttocks on the ground for skill practice. You could do this 10-20 reps without fatigue 2-3 times a day. As you get use to flexing the hips you can then increase the force of pulling so the buttocks is only lightly touching the floor. Then progress to buttocks off the floor. I sometimes find it helps to close my eyes to get a sense of what my body is doing.

sean

Sorry need to clarify....are we suggesting to "drop the hips" just to learn the hinge or is that the correct patterning to perform this exercise? I started out dropping the hips but I thought after reviewing the vids the athlete didn't look like he was so I stopped. Dropping the hips makes it eaiser for me than just hinging up from the waist keeping the lower half frozen in place....if you guys say drop the hips then OMG I just may cry a little inside over the hours I spent making this harder ;D

thanks in advance for any feed back.

Joshua Slocum

Dropping the hips is just a cue to help learn the hinging motion. Ideally the hips stay in place as your hinge.

sean

Perfect..thank you for clarifying