This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Criteria to choose exercises order

Started by Edoardo Cagnola, May 30, 2015 · 5 Replies · 334 Views

Edoardo Cagnola

I've been rethinking the order in which I perform the exercises during my F7 workout after reading a post from Zach that stated the potential benefits of performing PPP before planche leans. Do you guys use some specific criteria to choose which exercise to perform before and which after? I've always did them in the order they pop out in the Foundation course page so I've never thought about this.

Thank for your time :)

Sensei JP

Here's my pragmatic answer.  I break up my workouts according to equipment needed.  If I am at a piece of equipment, I try to do everything I need before moving away.  For example, MN PE1 requires no equipment, PE2 needs something for the Jefferson Curl, and PE4+ needs a place to hang.  I can plug PE1 anywhere in my workout; PE2 I need an elevated surface, which is my stairs.  Due to space constraints, half of my workout space is outside and the other half is in my basement.  I thus put PE2 as my first exercise after coming in from outside, as I have to use the stairs to come down.  Conversely, the only place I can hang is outside, so since graduating to PE4+, I've needed to move the MN element higher in my workout order.

 

The advantage of doing it that way is less time spent travelling back and forth.  The less time travelling, the more time working, the faster your work capacity will improve.

 

Also, when given the choice, I try to do the hardest movement right away.  Currently for me, that's FL PE6.  I'm often left a puddle afterwards, and I don't always look forward to it.  If I leave it too long, it becomes almost a dank cloud hanging over my workout, and it's psychologically draining.  Instead I attempt it right away, and pass or fail I feel better knowing that the hardest is over.

Jon Douglas

Practicality is a big thing for my order too. Generally I train at a gym where there are rows of hanging ropes; I can do my FL work on them, drop down to do spl, jump up for rc, then travel to my domicile where I have paralettes to train my HBP progression.

The other day works fine for me... the biggest thing for me is not trying to do F4 SL work first! Don't forget safety and ensure you are appropriately warmed up for straight arm work.

Jason Dupree

I do the hardest or the ones I'm lagging in first. Usually long statics last. But I actually started doing H1 first, and I like it, workout goes quicker.

thecolin
Jason Dupree said:

I do the hardest or the ones I'm lagging in first.

 

Agreed, this helped me a lot with progressing on RC PE-6.

Edoardo Cagnola

I've always done long statics first ! I'll do the ones that are more difficult (for me) first and see if it helps my progress:)