This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Does it matter the timing for Handstands as it does for Foundation?

Started by kingzlo, May 29, 2015 · 11 Replies · 571 Views

kingzlo

Handstands on Tuesday took 27:35.72 (iPhone timer).  This includes HS/PE2 (1set each max rep), HS/PE3 (1 set towards max rep), and HS/PE4 (towards mastery 2nd week on Block 3 @ 4 sets max rep).

 

I plan on getting handstands in today as well, sometime.  I need to digest this meal I had to eat.  So I set Siri to alarm me @ 4:30pm (around 2 hours of digestion).

Micawberian

What exactly is your question?

orangutan

I don't get your question either, but I see that you are doing something interesting that I was wondering myself...

 

After HS/PE3 there are a lot of elements that don't have you upside down but work on your shoulders and pelvic tilt. Should we be training these elements alongside PE1-3?

Jon Douglas
orangutan said:

I don't get your question either, but I see that you are doing something interesting that I was wondering myself...

After HS/PE3 there are a lot of elements that don't have you upside down but work on your shoulders and pelvic tilt. Should we be training these elements alongside PE1-3?

Sure. Especially if you find them difficult or you are new to handstands.

Jason Dupree

Wait so we aren't restricted on training later elements like in Foundation?

Micawberian
Jason Dupree said:

Wait so we aren't restricted on training later elements like in Foundation?

Your question reminded me of a funny, if slightly nerdy, comic: http://existentialcomics.com/comic/58

The rules of the game suggest you should follow the exercises in the laid out progression, but I would think most people bend the rules in their own little way.

 

I am sure the official answer is: focus on your current progression first. That is your work for the day. Then, feel free to dabble in the other progressions afterwards.

Jon Douglas
Jason Dupree said:

Wait so we aren't restricted on training later elements like in Foundation?

I meant having mastered PEs 1-3 they should be run alongside later progressions.

That's not to say you shouldn't do *any* handstands outside of H1. Treat it like Foundation work, do your prescription for the day, then practise some balancing or whatever if you feel like it.

Naturally if you have a hefty arch or zombie shoulders etc you are much better off putting that on the shelf until you have a better understanding of the mechanics

 

 

 

 

Micawberian said:

Your question reminded me of a funny, if slightly nerdy, comic: http://existentialcomics.com/comic/58

The rules of the game suggest you should follow the exercises in the laid out progression, but I would think most people bend the rules in their own little way.

 

I am sure the official answer is: focus on your current progression first. That is your work for the day. Then, feel free to dabble in the other progressions afterwards.

 

Beat me to it :)

kingzlo
Micawberian said:

What exactly is your question?

I was comparing the time with Handstand Training as there is timing for Foundation (more or less, 45 minutes as an example of how long it takes for F7).  But then again most of the HS is static movement that has a set time.  

 

orangutan said:

After HS/PE3 there are a lot of elements that don't have you upside down but work on your shoulders and pelvic tilt. Should we be training these elements alongside PE1-3?

I would think so (as a warm up).  And more for muscle memory in preparation for actual handstands.

 

Micawberian said:

Your question reminded me of a funny, if slightly nerdy, comic: http://existentialcomics.com/comic/58

The rules of the game suggest you should follow the exercises in the laid out progression, but I would think most people bend the rules in their own little way.

 

I am sure the official answer is: focus on your current progression first. That is your work for the day. Then, feel free to dabble in the other progressions afterwards.

Interesting comic series, it needs a newsletter sent out via email.

 

I tend to do the past progressions beforehand, as a warmup, give or take mastery or any routine is already high repetition that does not need any form of warmup.

Micawberian

Oh, I wouldn't worry so much about how long it takes to get through H1. Maybe in the preparatory stages the time should be fairly consistent for each workout. Once you start the SE's it will probably vary a lot more because there is no rule for how long to rest and balance by its nature varies a lot from day to day attempts when you are just beginning. i.e., one day you will just get all 5 sets in a row and maybe the next day it will take you 15 minutes to get even one set.

 

But the better and better you get you should see your handstand workout getting to a consistent time as the fluctuations in day to day ability will decrease.

kingzlo
Micawberian said:

But the better and better you get you should see your handstand workout getting to a consistent time as the fluctuations in day to day ability will decrease.

Like last week Thursday when I did HS/PE1 with ease and could not do HS/PE2, so I did HS/PE1 as another set warmup for HS/PE3.

DonGray

Hi kingzlo, there have been a couple of threads for this but I can't seem to post in the links.  Handstand training is distinctly Skill Training and is completely separate to Strength training.  You're focussing on quality work, here's a handy quote from coach:

 

"Never has it been stated that the PEs and iMs in H1 should be performed immediately one after another without rest"

 

"H1 is skill training.  Take the time you need to successfully perform the next set.  Do not attempt to follow a timed interval for your rest intervals.  Go when you are ready"

 

So only use a timer or even better - a Metronome for the actual handstand work itself, but forget about timing the whole period. 

Luzian

 

 

DonGray said:

[...] here's a handy quote from coach:

 

"Never has it been stated that the PEs and iMs in H1 should be performed immediately one after another without rest"

 

Very interesting! I've never realized that.