This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Ring Forearm Straps

Started by Daniel Rector, May 29, 2015 · 5 Replies · 262 Views

Daniel Rector

Hey all!  I am looking to start working through the ring series.  I can't figure out what the straps are that they sohw in the video.  For the Leverage Straight Arm Work.

 

Thanks!

Jon Douglas

I took some cuts from an older pair of ring straps to a bootmaker, who industrial-sewed them rock solid into loops. He did it free :)

Cole Dano

The LARS straps are almost always self made. As Jon says, you can cut off the required length from rings straps if they are long enough. Or go to a fabric shop and pick up some 1" webbing, follow the length instructions in the course, and take it to a shoemaker to sew for you.

 

It needs to be a shoe maker and not tailor, because the thickness of the webbing is too much for standard sewing machines.

Cory Fair

https://courses1.gymnasticbodies.com/r-lars-straps/

 

1) Go to the local hardware store and select approx 30” of a one inch wide nylon strapping. This should give you more than enough strapping to make a single pair of LARS straps.

 
2) Now measure the circumference of your forearm at it’s widest point and add two inches to that measurement. This will be length of each of your straps before they are sewn.
 
3) To have the straps sewn, I have had the most success taking them to a shoe repair shop, however some tailors also have the necessary heavy duty sewing machines.
 
4) Now simply overlap both edges of a single strap by one inch and have this juncture of the material sewn together using a square shape and then also stitch several diagonal lines thru the center of the square.
Wolf with one Ear

I consulted a rock climbing book and was able to tie my nylon straps.  It has proven secure.  The difficult part was working the knots so that both straps were of the same length.  I will check the book to see what the name of it is.  I offer this as a suggestion for someone who does not have access to a shoe repair shop or like facility.  

 

Also, the webbing I used was from REI, I think, and is very smooth, comfortable, and is rated in newtons I think, as are some ropes for holding ability.  

Freeflyer
Wolf with one Ear said:

I consulted a rock climbing book and was able to tie my nylon straps.  It has proven secure.  The difficult part was working the knots so that both straps were of the same length.  I will check the book to see what the name of it is.  I offer this as a suggestion for someone who does not have access to a shoe repair shop or like facility.  

 

Also, the webbing I used was from REI, I think, and is very smooth, comfortable, and is rated in newtons I think, as are some ropes for holding ability.  

I've trusted my life to 1in tubular nylon tied with a square knot backed up by half hitches.  I'm sure it'll work for supporting the small amount of weight you put on them in LARS movements.