Last night at my gym

Started by sasquatch, August 22, 2009 · 13 Replies · 2,788 Views

sasquatch

My friend got a video of me at the gym. I see a lot of problems in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IM4X1So0r0

I don't set very good and have sloppy tumbling. My back and shoulders have no flexibility on the ring swings. It was the first time I ever did a forward roll to muscle up though. :D

I hope I can find anothe gym to go to in Arizona.

irongymnast

The forward roll was nice.

Why don't you try skin the cat, muscle up, bulgarian dips, back lever progressions?

I think you're a little tall for tumbling. It should be more difficult for you. :)

How can you concentrate with that kind of music in the background?

sasquatch
irongymnast said:
The forward roll was nice.

Why don't you try skin the cat, muscle up, bulgarian dips, back lever progressions?

I think you're a little tall for tumbling. It should be more difficult for you. :)

How can you concentrate with that kind of music in the background?

Thanks for watching.

I'm starting to try and work on the front and back levers more now, I was actually able to do a straddle back lever and hold it for a few secounds, but I got weaker the more I tried. I am pretty tall for tumbling, I'm a half and inch short of 6-5... that's not why my tumbling sucks though, I need to practice better form or find a coach.

irongymnast

I don't think it sucks, I was just impressed that you could it with that height. :)

Maybe work on your explosiveness for tumbling?

Can you do the flik flak?

sasquatch

I can do a flick flak but I can't do it fast, so it slows me down. Do you have to be able to do a good bridge to do flick flaks good?

irongymnast

I've heard so. I can do it fast and I have a good bridge.

sasquatch

That could be the reason why mine are so slow then, you can see by my ring swings in the video, my upper back and shoulders have crappy flexibility.

irongymnast

Try regular swings at the parallel bars.

Or something else I do for shoulder flexibility, I rest on my hands (like an inverted sitted pushup position, meaning head should look up instead of down) and I extend my hands as much as I can and stay there.

For upper back, try stretching exercises, like open legs and bend in or closed legs and bend in etc.

Hayden Whealing
sasquatch said:
I can do a flick flak but I can't do it fast, so it slows me down. Do you have to be able to do a good bridge to do flick flaks good?

What is a flick flak? i am guessing it is a back handspring, am I right

sasquatch

Yup, a flick flak is a back handspring.

Thanks for the tips, irongymnast.

Blairbob

First you need to get on higher rings which may not be available.

Shoulder flexibility helps a lot in BHS. Ability to snapdown and push off are essential.

Hayden Whealing
Blairbob said:

Shoulder flexibility helps a lot in BHS. Ability to snapdown and push off are essential.

any suggestions for exercises to increase shoulder flexibility for BHS?

sasquatch
Blairbob said:
First you need to get on higher rings which may not be available.

Shoulder flexibility helps a lot in BHS. Ability to snapdown and push off are essential.

Those rings I was doing them are pretty high, do you mean higher so I can hang freely and my feet won't drag?

Blairbob

Higher so your feet clear the floor.

Stretches?

the usual. bridge wall walks, stick/band dislocates, bridges elevating feet to open up shoulders, wall slides, cat stretch. All that good stuff.