This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HS/PE7

Started by Sam Andersen, May 28, 2015 · 9 Replies · 221 Views

Sam Andersen

I am in my second week of HS/PE7.  This is the wall handstand.  I am looking for any cues that you might have to assure that I am in a good position.  Today I did 3 sets of 12 second handstands.  About 6 seconds into the handstand a sharp pain comes on suddenly in my left shoulder.  This signals to me that my position is probably off.

 

My body is fully extended and the elbows are locked.  My hands are about shoulder width and 5-6 inches away from the wall.

 

Any good cues you might have would be greatly appreciated.

 

Thanks.

Cole Dano

Can you post photos or a video? This will make assessing what's going on much easier.

 

Particularly which HS, what we think is going on and what actually is going on can be radically different.

Jeremy Huston

PE7 only requires your hands to be 6-12" (15-30cm) from the wall.  These get dramatically harder the closer you get to the wall (see PE11).

Sam Andersen

I will post a video later this afternoon.

Sam Andersen

Here is a video of me doing a wall handstand.  For whatever reason my shoulder did not hurt at all this time around.  If you would please still take a look at my form and offer any advice that seems relevant I would appreciate it.  Perhaps my form is better this time.

 

https://youtu.be/x9N4aaDgrhc

Samin Ishtiaq

- Your hand position looks good: could you narrow them a bit, maybe?

- Maybe get a bit closer to the wall?

- Are you pushing the floor as hard as you can?

 

Things I can't see 'cos the video zooms in too much:

- Are your toes pointed?

- Is your body in "dish"/PPT? (Your body started off in arch.)

 

Samin

Sam Andersen

I could probably narrow my hands. Am I looking to have the hands directly under the shoulders?

How close do I want my body to be too the wall?

I am pushing on the floor as if I was trying to lift myself. The rest of my body is also rigid.

I didn't start with toes pointed but a couple seconds in I realized this error and I pointed them.

I am not sure what "dish"/ppt means. If given some clarification I can answer.

Cole Dano

 No need to get closer, you've got the tape measure there and are fine.

 

Most important point right now is to not let your bottom rids touch the wall, it's creating an arch in your lower back. First goal is to create a flat lower back.

Sam Andersen

Thank you for the pointers.

Samin Ishtiaq

"Dish/PPT" is what Cole said above: avoid arching your lower back; flatten it instead.

You can try this exercise just lying back-down on the floor: arch your back, and then (in contrast) flatten your lower back into the floor. The latter, called Pelvic Posterior Tilt, is what you want to maintain in your HS.

 

I'm not the expert here, of course; just giving you feedback from my own experience.