This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

extra work to go with foundation 1

Started by Matthew Robertson, May 27, 2015 · 9 Replies · 324 Views

Matthew Robertson

I started foundation 1 about 5 months ago now, to begin with I kept up a little weight training, but since I have more recently started h1, all 3 stretch series, and have stopped the weight training. Part of the reason is because I have such bad mobility, and I don't want to make things any worse while I go back and fix my weaknesses. I have made sure to do a minimum of one micro cycle of each progression, and tend to be conservative rather than rushing through if I'm not sure I'm quite at mastery.

 

My only issue is that often i get through a whole foundation workout, and handstand on a handstand day, and don't feel like I've done enough to tire myself out.  I want to be able to maintain the strength that i have so that when i get to more challenging exercises I'll be able to progress at a good speed.  has anyone got some advice on the type of things i can add to my foundation routine to make a whole workout, or whether doing some weights would be beneficial. or should i just be holding out for the harder exercises in months to come? and help would be appreciated. 

 

thanks in advance.

 

Richard Sassoon

If you are really putting all your energy into the workouts and using just the iM for rest and at the end you still have more gas in the thank, then the general consensus is that you can add some maintenance sets of your lifts after the main workout. Maintenance just to keep the strength, as you don't want it to interfere with F1/H1, so also pay attention if this affects your recovery or you can still progress. It's also good that you fix your mobility as this will help with the lifts.

Mark Collins

Do F7 with no rest between any exercises. If you do not feel like you have had a good workout you are not pushing yourself enough.

Matthew Robertson

I'm about to leave for my workout today, I will try moving straight from from exercise to mobility and so on with minimal rest in between, just to do the mobility and see how it goes. If it works and i tire myself out then great, if i still feel fine i think i'll try doing some maintenance weight work tomorrow after running through foundation. Thanks for the comments, I'll let you know what happens.

Sean Hunter

You should also be running ~6 miles a week. 

 

But if you aren't gassed after doing f7 with no rest, you probably are doing everything with lame form. 

Matthew Robertson

I did see the thread about running 6 miles per week, I think i'm probably doing somewhere around that as it is. after my workout today i can say it's surprising the difference there is between working through the foundation programming, and really pushing yourself through it, even if the actual time difference is relatively small. today I did a ten minute warm up, exercises for FL, SP, HBP and RC as well as handstand work in a total of around 50 minutes. I can say at the end of it i definitely felt that I had worked hard, so maybe you guys were right about pushing through it. it makes you notice how easy it is after a few months of the programme to get a bit relaxed, even though my form for the exercises is not bad, you have to keep reminding yourself to put 100% in if you want anything out :)

Stephen Majerle

Also it's not always necessary to feel tired at the end of a workout. You can have a productive training day without exhausting yourself. I often feel energized afterwards.

Joshua Slocum
Stephen M said:

Also it's not always necessary to feel tired at the end of a workout. You can have a productive training day without exhausting yourself. I often feel energized afterwards.

This is very much the case. Making progress doesn't mean that you have to feel pooped after a workout.

 

 

Another option, if you consistently feel like you have too much energy throughout the week, is to up your weekly volume of Foundation and/or Handstand training. 

Matthew Robertson
Joshua Slocum said:

 

Another option, if you consistently feel like you have too much energy throughout the week, is to up your weekly volume of Foundation and/or Handstand training. 

when you say up the weekly volume, do you mean stepping it up to 5 foundation workouts per week compared to my current 4, or were you talking about doing other foundation exercises on those 4 days?

thanks

Joshua Slocum
Matthew Robertson said:

when you say up the weekly volume, do you mean stepping it up to 5 foundation workouts per week compared to my current 4, or were you talking about doing other foundation exercises on those 4 days?

thanks

I mean increasing the number of weekly workouts. E.g. Like you said going from 4 workouts to 5.