This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

dynamic stretch as warm up - some doubts

Started by Alessandro Di Sanzo, May 27, 2015 · 3 Replies · 397 Views

Alessandro Di Sanzo

Hi all!

I realized that perform some dynamic stretch as warm up, especially for my shoulders, is very useful, because it allows me to increase my range of mobility. This way I can perform better exercises like hollow body rocks and handstand mobility exercises, which require an adeguate shoulders mobility (my weakest point).

 

To be more clear , for example,  if I lay down supine on the floor completely fresh, I have problem to place my hands on the floor. After a bit of dynamic stretch (i.e. moving my arms from my hips to behind my head)  my range of mobility increases and I am able to place them , while keeping my lower back in contact with the floor.

At the end of my workout I perform some static stretch, that allows me to reach maximal range of mobility.

 

My question: is it teorically possible with dynamic stretch at the warm up to reach the maximal ROM that I am able to reach with static stretch done at the end?

 

 

 

 

 

Cole Dano

In this case I would maybe prefer to say your normal full ROM rather than maximal. This type of warm up is meant to get you back to your normal full ROM.

 

The extra stretching at the end will help you go beyond that (assuming there is more ROM to be had in the particular joint) and will also in the long term make getting to your normal full ROM more efficient. This works very synergistically with the more active mobility drills done as iM's in the courses.

Coach Sommer

My athletes do a mixture of both dynamic and static stretching in their warmups; the same way that Foundation is programmed with a mixture of dynamic and static integrated mobilities.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

sean

I have similar issues, problems laying my left arm flat on the floor over my head without impingement. If i use a band and distract it I can without issues. I find some improvement using a band to stretch my arm behind my back with palm out. I'm hoping with time I'm spending here will fix, or at least make a little better, this issue at some point. just my 2 cents....