This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Bone/hip joint obstruction in frog position

Started by Rob Rowland, May 27, 2015 · 13 Replies · 333 Views

Rob Rowland

Has anyone else experienced what feels like bone on bone grinding when trying to bring hips in line with knees while performing frog poses?  It goes away when I let up (rise higher vertically), but then so does the stretch... Anterior pelvic tilt seems to lessen the sensation, but I'm wondering whether I'm running into an arthrometric barrier.  Right now, it feels like this pose is a dead end.  I'm either in bone grinding pain or not feeling anything.  Or my technique is way off.  I'll try to remember to film myself in this position in the near future.  Can any of you kind souls shed some light on this?  Or perhaps recommend a variation to perform until my hips unlock more?

 

Another thing to note is that when doing Diamond Frog, I can get everything to the floor.  I don't feel any sort of stretch tension in the muscles around my groin or inner thigh, but I do feel a slight "pulling apart" sensation inside the joint, almost as if I'm stretching ligaments -- is this by design?

Kasper Stangerup

I can't shed any light, but I have the same sensation as you do. Only in my right side though. I have been doing the stretch very conservatively (as per the follow-along) and it seems that, maybe, it might possibly have gotten a little better.

Cole Dano

Back out enough that there is no sense of grinding or bone on bone.

 

With the sensation of pulling the joint apart, be careful there as well, in general we don't want to stretch ligaments, and we don't want to pull or pop the hip joint out of socket. As you are inexperienced with this level of deep stretching err on the side of caution.

Jeffrey Mailly

I'd love some advice on diamond frog. The pancake roll-through as well. I'm experiencing very limited range of motion. Mostly feeling it in my hip joint on the outside of my thigh. Is there anything I can do as a daily stretch to help this along. I do sit at a desk for work. I'm sure that has to be contributing to the tightness in feeling there. I've been taking standing breaks and walking a lot. Any recommended daily stretching, even if it's from the middle split video would be appreciated.

I know I've only done this series 3 times. I'm sure in months/years it will improve. I'm just hoping my daily job isn't ruining my hard work.

Leo Trinidad

Hi @Jeffrey Mailly,

Yes too much sitting is a big factor. But do not worry. My suggestion is that you do the Foundations Course. To be specific, you need to work on your and supplement your stretching with the mobility of sPL and also do the SLS progressions along with it. Do not force the diamond frog and pancake roll through if you experience pain. Make sure to maximize whatever limited range of motion you have. You can add extra Supine Flares on the other days to help you loosen up your hips. I hope this helps. 

Jeffrey Mailly
23 minutes ago, Leo Trinidad said:

Hi @Jeffrey Mailly,

Yes too much sitting is a big factor. But do not worry. My suggestion is that you do the Foundations Course. To be specific, you need to work on your and supplement your stretching with the mobility of sPL and also do the SLS progressions along with it. Do not forced the diamond frog and pancake roll through if you experience pain. Make sure to maximize whatever limited range of motion you have. You can add extra Supine Flares on the other days to help you loosen up your hips. I hope this helps. 

Thank you. I very much appreciate the reply. I am doing F1, H1, and Stretch. I will definitely add some supine flares and keep working the sPL mobility and SLS.

Leo Trinidad

Let us know how it goes @Jeffrey Mailly. We hope to hear about your progress soon.

Alessandro Mainente
17 hours ago, Jeffrey Mailly said:

I'd love some advice on diamond frog. The pancake roll-through as well. I'm experiencing very limited range of motion. Mostly feeling it in my hip joint on the outside of my thigh. Is there anything I can do as a daily stretch to help this along. I do sit at a desk for work. I'm sure that has to be contributing to the tightness in feeling there. I've been taking standing breaks and walking a lot. Any recommended daily stretching, even if it's from the middle split video would be appreciated.

I know I've only done this series 3 times. I'm sure in months/years it will improve. I'm just hoping my daily job isn't ruining my hard work.

It is possible that you have a tight posterior capsule in the hips, I suggest do add the piriformis stretch more frequently.

Peter Ols

Hi,

I have the same issue and I'm new here.

Supine flares and piriformis stretch seems like a good idea.

How often should I do these stretches in addition to my weekly mid splits training ?

Many people say "stretch every day" but I belive they mean then soft stretching not the kind of deep stretching as in the program.

It seems like GB is an other "method" with deep long time stretching and not so often. Having tried for decades with flexibility I hope this program will help.

Is it beneficial to do very soft unweighted stretches on resting days or is it recommended to take total rest as much as possible ? (When I'm a little sore for ex.)

Everett Carroll

Hi Peter,

Awesome question!

You can do very light limbering (soft stretching) every day. This can be very beneficial for positions that you need extra work on. Just be conservative, keep the intensity very low, and know that consistency is the key, not intensity. 

Peter Ols

Thanks Everett!:)

Luke Searra

Keep us updated Jeffrey

Jeffrey Mailly

So I've added some more supine flares and it feels amazing. I've also added some more swivel hips and side prone lifts, which also feels good. I'm struggling a bit with the piriformis stretch. Coach mentions feeling it in the outer flute however I am feeling it more in what feels like the hamstrings. Experimenting with putting the leg in different positions to target the right area. I thought my form was good but I'm sure it's wrong since the stretch doesn't feel as described.

This week I setup some spare mirrors in the basement to get a better look at my form. Mobility in the lower back for APT is almost nonexistent. lol. Started sitting on some blocks for butterfly and pancake work. Any suggestions for struggles with APT? At present I am really pulling hard in the butterfly to bet my back straight/apt.

Luke Searra

Very good news about the stretches feeling better with the additions. Feel free to post a video of your piriformis stretch for the coaches to check Jeffrey. You can use yoga blocks to prop up the knee to scale the piriformis stretch or move the heel closer to the groin to scale the stretch.

APT and its symptoms (including lower back pain), can be subdued by stretching or myofascially releasing hip flexors, as well as through consistent use of piriformis and quad stretching.