This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Boat pose to strengthen hip flexors

Started by Richard Sassoon, May 25, 2015 · 5 Replies · 327 Views

Richard Sassoon

Well, after a 2nd round of the MSs my left hip adductor was toast and I couldn't perform straddle ups for a few days, and since my main problem with them is still hip flexor strength I decided to perform some boat pose holds instead.

I have to say they are pretty challenging for me and I have to fight to straigthen my legs and keep my compression, but I do feel they can be a great help with straddle ups and then with v-up since the final position is about the same. I wonder if anyone would have any other tips for strengthening the hip flexors?

Alexander Egebak

You need active compression work to help achieve mastery for MN PE 2. The stretch series will help, and meanwhile you should consider straddle ups as skill work if you are able to perform a good number of reps and sets with that limited range of motion that you have.

 

As to keep building strength you have several options; you can try other front core exercises like V-ups (if you have a good pike), you can do top position holds in straddle ups and lower as you fatigue or you can find another exercise easily scaleable that suits you needs for further strength development will working on active range of motion for your straddle ups.

Cole Dano

Boat pose is basically the top of the V-up. 

 

Generally, in my classes, when introducing new students to the V-up progression, we'll do longer holds at the top and it has been effective.

Richard Sassoon

Thanks for the input guys. My flexibility is not the problem really, I just miss a little bit of compression. It's also not my core holding me back on the straddle ups. I'm stuck now at around 5 sets of 6 where I can keep my current rom; more than that and my hip flexors tire out and my rom decreases a lot. I've been holding a static position on my last reps and also performing some straddle leg lifts or circles now and then. After a month like this I haven't made much improvement so I was thinking about some more effective ways... I guess I will add some sets of the boat pose with bent legs and try to straighten them little by little until I can hold a full pose for longer holds, which will hopefully translate to better straddle ups :)

Mats Trane

Another great exercise for strengthening your hip flexor is doing seated leg lifts in pike and straddle while sitting with your back pressed against a wall.