This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Fixing imbalances

Started by Awesssss, May 24, 2015 · 4 Replies · 223 Views

Awesssss

I noticed my body is broken.

 

I can hang on my right arm comfortably for 5-10 seconds (never maxed out). With my left arm, I can't even hang for 1 second !! This, I will fix by hanging with my left arm and using 2-3 fingers from my right arm. With time, decrease the amount of fingers.

 

But it's not only hanging where I have imbalances, other places too! Both my left arms push and pull is weaker. This is tricker for me. How can I fix these Imbalances?

 

1) For pulling, I was thinking of doing rows with full left hand and only using fingers from my right.

2) For pushing, I have no idea! Maybe doing Push ups with full left hand and going on my fingertips on my right one?

 

At this point of my training, I really want to fix my imbalances. So this is important to me!

dritar

Unless it's a imbalance derived from a past injury, in principle HBP and RC progressions in F1 should fix those, even though they are mostly bilateral exercises. You'll probably find that your weaker side will catch up to the stronger side as it has to do its share of the work. However, you must be ensure that you have pristine form and not let your strong side compensate specially as you get tired.

 

It's possible to so with unilateral exercises as you propose but I think it's harder to in practice without an experienced coach to monitor your progress and program that for you. If you go this route on your own, be very conservative on adding work on top of your F1 training as it's far easier to hurt your weaker side and that'll exacerbate the imbalance.

 

Kind regards.

Cole Dano

With most of the exercises in the Foundation course, a simple solution is just to shift your weight a little to the weaker side, or feel as if you are initiating the push or pull from there.

Awesssss

That's a great idea, Cole!

 

I am not entirely sure if it's my pushing "muscles" and pulling "muscles" that are weaker in my left side or the scapula/shoulder area. As I experimented with single arm plank shrugs, my right one was more stable. Hanging one my right one is also a lot more stable.

 

I'm going to work on scapula strength before shifting weights or work unilateral exercises for push/pull.

 

Thanks for the responses.