This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Rings One warm up

Started by Awesssss, May 19, 2015 · 10 Replies · 514 Views

Awesssss

I bought the ring program to try and understand how Coach Sommer is thinking. I am not training rings now, and don't intend to until I'm closer to F3 or F4. Also, I don't even have access to rings, lol...

 

However, I have access to bands and a stall bar. Would it be a bad idea to perform the Rings one Band warm up with great care?

Jon Douglas

They're good things. I can't imagine it being an issue. I think there are several people who do this already

Awesssss

Thank you for you answer! I'm gonna do them. Just need to first memorize every move...

Awesssss

Thank you for your answer, Jon! If you don't mind me asking another question about the ring series... What does it mean when it says that if you've finished only F2, you should only PLAY with rings one and not follow a structured program? What is the definition of playing?

 

As an example, in the first option of "Weekly schedule" it says that you only Play with rings One on friday and tuesdays. So you go to the gym, you do your warm up and then you only play with the rings and then you go home?

 

I can understand if you go to gym, warm up and do your foundation work and after wards play with the rings. But going to the gym, warming up to just only PLAY with the rings... What does playing mean? :)

Coach Sommer

Playing means no focused or structured training on the rings until you are qualified to do so.  You may spend 5-10 min after your scheduled workout is completed casually messing around on the rings.  

 

But nothing more.  You have other things to attend to first.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Awesssss
Coach Sommer said:

Playing means no focused or structured training on the rings until you are qualified to do so.  You may spend 5-10 min after your scheduled workout is completed casually messing around on the rings.  

 

But nothing more.  You have other things to attend to first.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Still very unclear since there are R1 only days... But I'm guessing that since you actually recommend Foundation 4, specifially the RC and HBH as the most important, and Foundation 2 at the minimum, you will let people decide what "Playing" means...

 

One last question!

 

When it's time to work on Rings one, do you do all the progression at the same day? In the same order? Like,

 

1. Rings one Mobility

2. Reverse muscle up

3. LARS

4. Ring support

5. Back lever

 

All of them in one workeout? Seems intense. Especially doing 3-5 at the same time.

Coach Sommer

For you at your level there are no R1 days and the programming provided does not apply in your case.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Awesssss

For 99.99 dollars I deserve an answer. No matter how bad I am.

 

What if in 1-3 years when I'm ready for rings one and this site is long gone? You wouldn't want me to come all the way to America, knock on your door and ask you this question? ;)

Jon Douglas
Hollow Man said:

Still very unclear since there are R1 only days... But I'm guessing that since you actually recommend Foundation 4, specifially the RC and HBH as the most important, and Foundation 2 at the minimum, you will let people decide what "Playing" means...

 

One last question!

 

When it's time to work on Rings one, do you do all the progression at the same day? In the same order? Like,

 

1. Rings one Mobility

2. Reverse muscle up

3. LARS

4. Ring support

5. Back lever

 

All of them in one workeout? Seems intense. Especially doing 3-5 at the same time.

This is answered in the course. Yes, you do them in one session. It's actually not very much volume-- the time it takes is *way* down from, say, an F7 workout. Lower level workouts that I have tried take 20-30 minutes. Once you get into F3 territory and are used to F7 workouts, it's really not so taxing. Other people than me can probably access rings at this sort of level and make progress-- me personally, that's not nearly enough prep. It's gonna be an F4 graduation before I get on them for real.

 

Please do take Coach's advice to heart. You are asking questions on relatively advanced material that tend to answer themselves when someone is ready for the training :) Discussions of this nature tend to lead to someone uninvolved in the conversation picking up on training talk they aren't yet ready for and hurting themselves-- not necessarily you, but someone. I've seen myself quoted on Reddit and other sites several times talking about wall runs and dislocates, and getting alternately laughed at and cursed for the combination of high volume and extreme caution I advise.

 

Best to take care of today's prep-- people are here and happy to answer higher level training questions when you are capable of implementing it. Otherwise, without meaning to be rude, why would I spend my time typing it out if it can't be used?

 

With respect,

Jon

Awesssss
Jon Douglas said:

This is answered in the course. Yes, you do them in one session. It's actually not very much volume-- the time it takes is *way* down from, say, an F7 workout. Lower level workouts that I have tried take 20-30 minutes. Once you get into F3 territory and are used to F7 workouts, it's really not so taxing. Other people than me can probably access rings at this sort of level and make progress-- me personally, that's not nearly enough prep. It's gonna be an F4 graduation before I get on them for real.

 

Please do take Coach's advice to heart. You are asking questions on relatively advanced material that tend to answer themselves when someone is ready for the training :) Discussions of this nature tend to lead to someone uninvolved in the conversation picking up on training talk they aren't yet ready for and hurting themselves-- not necessarily you, but someone. I've seen myself quoted on Reddit and other sites several times talking about wall runs and dislocates, and getting alternately laughed at and cursed for the combination of high volume and extreme caution I advise.

 

Best to take care of today's prep-- people are here and happy to answer higher level training questions when you are capable of implementing it. Otherwise, without meaning to be rude, why would I spend my time typing it out if it can't be used?

 

With respect,

Jon

Thank you for you answer, Jon! I understand what you mean, but I still can't help but to think that if one is able to buy a course, and in that course site there is a link to "Ask a question" which directs you to the rings one forum, one should be able to get his answers if one payed 99.99 dollars. Anyways, I still understand your POV. I'll leave it there.

Coach Sommer
Hollow Man said:

For 99.99 dollars I deserve an answer. No matter how bad I am.

 

What if in 1-3 years when I'm ready for rings one and this site is long gone? You wouldn't want me to come all the way to America, knock on your door and ask you this question? ;)

- I would be more than happy for you to come to my door. My athletes haven't eaten today. ;)

- GB was here long before you and it will be here long after you.

- Now stop whining and get to work.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer